Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to add fork oil with the forks inplace? I have a 2015 Versys 650 and my forks were leaking, so I made a tool and cleaned some dirt out from around my seals and it appears that the leak has stopped. But since i've obviously lost some fluid I would like to replace it. Is it possible to do so on the bike? If you have to take the forks off does it make more sense to replace all the oil and maybe even the seals? Should I just ride with slightly less fork oil? I havent ever messed with forks much. I appreciate any input.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
IMHO - you REALLY need to know that your fork-oil levels are correct, and after the leak - you don't. So my suggestion is that you drain, then service them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If your forks have not been serviced in a long time that might be a good idea now.
But if they only leaked a small amount and you now have it fixed you could certainly check the oil. The oil is measured from the top of the tube down to the oil level inside. That is done when rebuilding also. I would have the service manual and follow it.
Do you know if the oil is original or if the weight was changed?

·
Registered
815 Posts
What is the service interval?
Service manual says nothing at all, not even changing the oil or seals, ever. Only to inspect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The forks need good clean oil to work properly so if it has never been done there will be a small amount of wear particles and such in there. It depends how picky you are about it. Most people probably would not notice the change in fork action after an oil change under normal riding on normal roads.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What is the service interval?
Service manual says nothing at all, not even changing the oil or seals, ever. Only to inspect.
If a leak is detected early and cleaning the seal stopped the leak, only a minimal amount of oil would've been lost.

Fork oil change interval is generally a part of a front fork overhaul/ inspection and replacement of seals, bushings etc. The service interval depends on age, how the bike is ridden, storage, road conditions and many more factors.

Some riders experiment with different fork oil weight but it's a lot of work to remove the forks simply to drain and replace the oil.

I loved my Norton forks with drain bolts at the bottom. Easy peasy fork oil change but I never noticed any difference by simply changing the fork oil. Although it did make me feel better for doing it.

The oil in the rear shock absorber is never replaced... interesting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 07 has never ever had a fork service... It's one of the jobs I loathe doing on bikes and only do if they leak or have issues. Yet my mate does his every 12 months..

·
Registered
800 Posts
depends of the forks. i have Traxxion cartridges in my 1000, and I was told by them, that the bike can run even 40k miles without oil change. I usually change every 2 years or so. The new V650 forks are not very sophisticated. On the right side, there is no spring. But the left side is not so easy to dissemble, because the inner cap is really tight. I managed to do it with leather-man pliers.

There is no issue with having a bit less oil, but if you wish you can poor the oil in without taking the forks off. You just need to unscrew the upper caps. But I don't see you mentioning when you last time change the fork fluid. If it was really long time, you need to change. It is probably very dirty. And just to add, since removing the inner cap on the left fork is difficult, and you want to change the oil, you just unscrew the top cap, and turn the fork upside down and measure the quantity of oil that comes out and pour the same amount through the little holes in the inner cap. You might want to repeat this process to make sure that the forks are clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts