Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the advice above.

I got my YSS setup from Bikersbitz, who are in Thailand where YSS is located.

The YSS instructions are silent about drilling, says to simply drop the valves in front. I know know I need remove my damper rods and drill the compression limit holes out. Or have my favorite Yamaha dealer do it.

The instructions say the shock spring compression is set for the bike at factory, but is infinitely adjustable with the ring.

What front and rear YSS package Costa through BikerzBitz is below, to USA a few days ago. They have the parts listed for the bike, no long search for compatibility is necessary.

I also found it in England, with potential for changing spring weight for maybe $2-300 more. The base shock spring is ok for my weight per YSS.

I could not find the package in USA.

Versys-X 300 ('17-'20) YSS Fork Upgrade Kit​
YSS_Y-FCM37-KIT-02-013​
1​
USD186.45​
Versys-X 300 ('17-'20) YSS Topline​
YSS_MZ366-320TR-58-85​
1​
USD232.35​
Subtotal​
USD418.80​
Shipping & Handling​
USD64.06​
Grand Total​
USD482.86​
Tax​
USD31.59​
Grand Total to be Charged​
THB16,833.09​
The YSS instructions don't say anything about drilling holes in your damper rods, but it has to be done. The purpose of the holes is to allow the oil to bypass the original damper rod orifices and instead be moderated by the new YSS shim stack. Again, I recommend you get someone with experience to do the drilling for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The YSS instructions don't say anything about drilling holes in your damper rods, but it has to be done. The purpose of the holes is to allow the oil to bypass the original damper rod orifices and instead be moderated by the new YSS shim stack. Again, I recommend you get someone with experience to do the drilling for you.
If YSS doesn't mention drilling, maybe that's because, you're not supposed to?

If you use Cogent DDC's in your forks, (which I have on mine), or the Ricor Intiminators, both are just drop-in parts and require no drilling.

So I'd double-check about the YSS components, first. Good luck!

·
Registered
Versys X 300
40 Posts
If YSS doesn't mention drilling, maybe that's because, you're not supposed to?

If you use Cogent DDC's in your forks, (which I have on mine), or the Ricor Intiminators, both are just drop-in parts and require no drilling.

So I'd double-check about the YSS components, first. Good luck!
Are you happy with the Cogent DDCs? I don't see a specific pair listed for the VX300 anywhere. Are your's special order?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have drilled a few of these. Hiring out would save valuable weekend time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you happy with the Cogent DDCs? I don't see a specific pair listed for the VX300 anywhere. Are your's special order?
Hi NJ-Bill! Hey, just FYI this is "RedEX" from the other forum. I do like the Cogent DDCs, and I've also used them on my DR650, before installing them on the Versys. They were not special order, though. They were listed as, "Cogent DDC Kawasaki Versys-X 300 2017+." (But yea, I was searching all over their website just now, too- I see the Versys listed but no real link to the right set of DDCs...) I actually bought and installed mine within the first couple weeks of ownership, which was a new 2020 model, bought in March of 2021.

Originally I had started with the Ricor Intiminators, (and heavier springs), on my 2012 DL650. Several years later, when I added the DR650 to the stable, I decided to try Cogent instead, also adding heavier fork springs, on that bike. For both the V-Strom and DR650, I felt that the stock fork springs were too soft and they had too much front end dive.
Adding these drop-in emulators helped both bikes. Although not a direct comparison, due to the DR650's longer fork travel, I was able to evaluate these two competing emulators. Neither system requires any drilling, and both call for 5-weight oil. (I believe one or the other brand will supply AmsOil, if you want to order the whole kit- emulators, springs, and oil.)

Based on that experience, I went with the Cogents for the Versys, using the stock springs which were actually proper for my weight (153 pounds/70kg). Initially I had just a bit too much preload. Todd at Cogent had advised to trim 12mm off the stock spacers, for my weight, but I had reasoned that all of the extra farkles, such as luggage racks, crash bars, skid plate, etc., added up to a fair amount and therefore would require more preload. So I only trimmed 10mm off the spacers. The ride was better but still seemed just a bit harsh on sharp bumps, such as the "speed-bump" type pavement defects so common to southeast Michigan's roads. (I think these are also known as "frost heaves"?) Todd was right in the first place, and once I took a couple more millimeters off the spacers, it made a noticeable difference.

As far as the difference between the two brands, the V-Strom with Intiminators handled depressions and potholes on gravel roads very well, and it seemed the faster I went, the smoother the ride. I think they have the edge, there. To me, on the Versys the Cogents are overall the smoother ride, although not "plush," but firm and controlled. (On the DR650, the Cogents were a little better on raised bumps as opposed to pothole-type depressions, compared to the V-Strom's Ricors, but that's not exactly comparing apples to apples). However, improving the front suspension starts to highlight any deficiencies in the rear suspension. For my weight, I could actually stand to install a lighter spring on the rear shock, because anything more than "0" or "1" notch makes the ride too harsh in back. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with the current set-up.

If you can't find the actual link on the Cogent site, perhaps email them. As you may know, the owner is a DR650 owner and is frequently active in that subforum on AdvRider. I'm sure they can help you out if you go that route. Good luck with your choice, and Happy Thanksgiving!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts