Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving my Versys, and I've done some upgrades to it. While I've seen some folks speculate on increasing power output and other stuff, for the riding I do it seems like lighter wheels might be the biggest single improvement that can be made. I'm thinking forged aluminum, not magnesium or CF. It has to be durable enough for crap roads. Has anyone done this? The search term "forged wheels" didn't turn up anything.

Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Stock wheels are cast aluminum... Carbon fiber wheels would be nice and pretty strong as well. Only about $3400 per set.
Forged aluminum wheels are lighter than cast aluminum and offer more stiffness. The rim is also a little lighter which reduces dynamic weight and adds to the overall performance. The completely machined forged wheel also runs very true which improves the performance of the wheel. Forged aluminum wheels are an excellent choice for rough roads. About $2000 per set.

·
Premium Member
16,107 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... i likey likey likey.:yeahsmile::yeahsmile:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock Versys wheels are aluminum.
..and made by "enkei". Good company.
The point is the difference in weight and strength between cast and forged. Not a judgment on whether or not the wheels or their maker are "good".

USD $3400 for a set. Wow....Oh...wow...
The forged aluminum wheels look to be about $1800/set.

i see the forged wheels are 7.5 lbs front and 10.5 lbs rear, how much do the stock wheels weigh?
And that's the next question. I'm confident that the stockers are heavier, but I don't know how much. My other bike is a Hypermotard. Mine is the standard version that comes with cast Marchesini (a good company) wheels. The "S" version comes with forged Marchesinis, and those are something like a kilogram per wheel lighter than the cast wheels. It makes a difference in suspension compliance and steering that you can readily feel.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Boy, for a few hundred more you could buy a nice 2nd hand Versys. Seems to be a bit expensive. I spent $2k on accessories and I have a one-of-a-kind world traveller adventure bike. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Boy, for a few hundred more you could buy a nice 2nd hand Versys. Seems to be a bit expensive. I spent $2k on accessories and I have a one-of-a-kind world traveller adventure bike. Just sayin.
Price isn't always everything when your...pampering your 'baby':D:D:D
I'm not one for all the hard luggage, though i certainly appreciate that it's out there and looks sooo fine on the Versys.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

If I had 1800 bucks to pop for some forged alloys...anodized gold finish...I'd pull the trigger in a new york minute. ( Hmmmm...might just start saving some 'pennys' and see where it leads me.
MMMmmmmm gold wheels on a green bike...SEXY!!!!!:devil:

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Less unprung weight and momentum acting upon the suspension, as well as less rotational weight which reduces centrifugal force, resulting in improved handling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there any wheels that are able to fit versys without the need of changing anything else on the versys like brakes or else ?

Plz post some links to guide us !!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts