Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd eventually like to hook up a few electrical accessories to the V (driving lights, maybe some accessory lights, an outlet to hook up navigational equipment, etc.) and was taking a look under the seat when I found these guys:

auxiliary.jpg

I'm guessing the red arrow points to an "accessory power line" but I have no idea what the thing in the blue circle is! I'm wondering if I can potentially hook up an auxiliary fuse box and/or relay to the potential "accessory power line" (If that is, in fact, what it is)? And any thoughts on the doo-dad in the blue circle would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd eventually like to hook up a few electrical accessories to the V (driving lights, maybe some accessory lights, an outlet to hook up navigational equipment, etc.) and was taking a look under the seat when I found these guys:

View attachment 515

I'm guessing the red arrow points to an "accessory power line" but I have no idea what the thing in the blue circle is! I'm wondering if I can potentially hook up an auxiliary fuse box and/or relay to the potential "accessory power line" (If that is, in fact, what it is)? And any thoughts on the doo-dad in the blue circle would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

5. Kawasaki Self-diagnosis System Connector (Insert the connector to the bracket.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
5 Volt Jumper?

What's the little wire do though in front of the self diagnostic plug? I get 5 volts on mine. I just installed this fuse box. Needed for the Starcom 1 system and driving lights.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm guessing the red arrow points to an "accessory power line" but I have no idea what the thing in the blue circle is!
Both are part of the self-diagnosis system. The large connector (circled in blue) is what you use if you have Kawasaki's fancy computer program and hookup cable. The single connector (with the arrow pointing to it) is what you use at home, you ground that and read the codes off the instrument panel (section 3-35 in the manual). It would be a bad idea to use either for your accessory power source.

Gustavo

·
Registered
813 Posts
So where would be the ideal place to tap into as a power supply?
I've never done this before so any help would be cool, but I'm looking into hoking up a car style lighter somewhere on the bike, so that can charge cell phone or gps etc...
anyone wanna step by step me through an example run?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a generic explanation. I do not own a Versys, but used this procedure on my Honda and it worked great.

1. locate a 12VDC circuit that is controlled by the ignition circuit. Such as the headlights. They only come on when the ignition switch is turned on.
2. Tap this circuit and connect to one side of the coil on a 30Amp 12VDC relay. Connect the other side of the relay coil to a ground point.
3. Connect directly from the 12VDC pole of the battery to one side on an inline fuse for about 15 or 20 amps. Connect the other lead from the fuse to one side to one side of the "Switched" contacts of the relay. Connect the other side of the relay to the 12VDC pole of an auxilary fuse box. (these are available in all auto parts stores, just ask).
4. Install an appropriate sized fuse into the fuse block for the necessary power draw of the component you are hooking up. Run the connection for that fuse to the component you are hooking up. Run the component's negative terminal to ground. That "component" could be a cigarette lighter socket.

This way you have a fuse protecting the relay and the fuse block. Individual fuses protect individual components. The ignition switch, when turned off protects the battery from being depleted if a component is left turned on.

Remember that the total AMPERAGE you can draw on this Aux fuse block cannot exceed the excess output of the alternator or you will draw the battery down to the point that bad things happen.

Hope this helps.

Red

·
Registered
228 Posts
There are two other posts addressing the addition of a 12 volt power outlet to the Versys and including mounting ideas. Search the other forums for those threads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Red Alert has it right. You should hook the primary side of a 30 Amp relay to an ignition-switched power source. I use the tail-light. I then hook (through an inline fuse) the secondary input to the relay directly to the battery. All the accessory power needed is tapped off the secondary output from the relay. This way the accessories only have power when the ignition is on, and all are protected by the fuse. -- Hank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks as usual for the info in these posts. I am at last getting round to sorting power ror accessories. The attached wiring diagram seems to follow the guidance on this thread and may help anyone else on the same mission.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Several folks on this Forum have used the FZ-1 fuze block: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php

There are threads describing the results. I personally have used it with great success on both an 09 V and a 10V. Red Alert's discussion applies directly. Also get good instructions with the FZ-1. I used the low-beam headlight as the relay trigger.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Pretty much any 20A automotive relay connected to the battery via a 20A fuse and a a cheap terminal block of your choosing will provide the required functionality and provide switched power (cuts off when engine is turned off). Total cost ~$10.

Note all automotive relays have the same pin numberings marked on them.

Pin 30 - connects to pos battery terminal via 20A or less fuse (high current)
Pin 87 - switched distribution power source (high current) - to terminal block
Pin 85 - relay trigger ground (low current)
Pin 86 - relay trigger positive - wire to any switched 12v source like running lights that are only on with engine running (low current)

Suggest using 12 gauge wire for high current wires (it is good for up to 40A) which is more than will ever be needed. Any thin wire wire can be used to trigger the relay. Also solder rather than just twist all connections and wrap with electrical tape. When soldering heat the wires to be soldered until solder touching the wires (and not the soldering iron) melts into the wires. Installing a 20A fuse between battery and relay is a good idea. Twisted wire connections tend to be a source of power loss and possible failure point.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It depends on the type of insulation but 40 amps is kinda high for 12 gauge even for the good stuff unless it’s a single strand in open air. For bundled installations I’d fuse 12 gauge to 25 or 30 amps at the most.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also solder rather than just twist all connections and wrap with electrical tape. When soldering heat the wires to be soldered until solder touching the wires (and not the soldering iron) melts into the wires. Installing a 20A fuse between battery and relay is a good idea. Twisted wire connections tend to be a source of power loss and possible failure point.

This is an EXCELLENT point. Run voltage drop tests on several different electrical farkles, and note the differences between clean connections and weathered, twisted-wire connections. You might be very surprised at the results.

:thumb:

·
Registered
44 Posts
A bit late to the party, but I've been very happy with my Centech fuse panel for adding accessories. I think it's slightly cheaper than the Fuze, but haven't done any serious price comparison.

http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/panels/ap1.shtml

On more tip about soldering connections: I've found that heat shrink tubing wrap works really well for sealing up soldered wires. Electrical tape can get less sticky with age whereas this shrink wrap seems to hold up pretty well. All you need is a heat gun/hair dryer to shrink it down over the connection and you're good to go!!

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Just remember to feed it on before you solder or connect everything up!

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-SHRINK-TUBING-SLEEVES-ASSORTED/dp/B000F7RB4Q/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is an EXCELLENT point. Run voltage drop tests on several different electrical farkles, and note the differences between clean connections and weathered, twisted-wire connections. You might be very surprised at the results.

:thumb:
Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know anything. :p:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts