Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How simple was the install? Was everything needed included with the correct size bolts and such?

2) Are they in a good enough position to mount highway pegs to?

Thanks for any responses and advice!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
1) How simple was the install? Was everything needed included with the correct size bolts and such?

2) Are they in a good enough position to mount highway pegs to?

Thanks for any responses and advice!
The SW-Motech crash bars are of a better quality and provide more protection than the Givi. Not hard to mount, about an hour with a rear pit stand required to balance the bike. Suggest using lots of blue Locktite on the bolts to keep them from vibrating loose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? From pictures alone it seems like the SW motech bars barely cover anything. Also, is the install possible without a pit stand?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have these Kawasaki Versys 650 2015-2016 RD Moto Crash Bars Protectors CF50KD | eBay

The install was not easy at all, the fit is very snug and I had to stretch the metal in order for it to fit. However, once installed, it's very sturdy and anchored.
The good thing about these crash bars is that you don't need to install highway pegs, you can place your feet at the front of the bars as there is enough room for it. I traveled long distance like that and it was fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The SW-Motech crash bars are of a better quality and provide more protection than the Givi.
I agree with twowheels.

I went with SW Motech and the install was easy. I'm not sure you NEED a stand but it will surely make the install easier. Also my hiway pegs are mounted to the bars (I made some custom brackets to relocate the passenger footpegs) and I can stand on them without a problem.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1298&pictureid=7858

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
really? From pictures alone it seems like the SW motech bars barely cover anything. Also, is the install possible without a pit stand?
The SW-Motech bars are made of a higher quality steel and thicker tubing so should resist bending better. They also cost more. As for protection they will protect all plastics in a tip over or minor crash, I speak from personal experience. See youtube videos of a Versys crash with them. If you search, a member of this site had both and did a side by side comparison. I have no personal experience with the Givi bars but have crashed my bike with the SW-Motech bars and they did an excellent job and saved the bike. Only damage was a bent handlebar and sheared off spool from the swing arm. If you at all rough with your bike or tip it, they should pay for themselves.

As for a pit stand, you really need one with this bike as it has no kick stand. It makes chain maintenance a breeze as well as any other kind of maintenance and cleaning the bike. You should be able to find one for less than $50 and swing arm spools (the stand grips the bike by the spools) are $10 or less on eBay. 10mm for the version 1 and 2 of the Versys 650 and 8mm for the version 3 bike. Some pit stand designs, ones with a center handle, will force you to bend the tip of the flexible rear plastic fender an inch or so when first raising it, but this does not hurt the fender. This is not a deal breaker but makes positioning the stand under the bike while balancing it in an upright position more difficult as you also have to hold the fender in at the same time until you get the stand to latch the spools. Pit Bull manufacture the best stands but they are exorbitantly expensive. Harbor Freight (Princess Auto in Canada) make a decent cheap stand but it has a center handle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts