Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2018 Versys 650 ABS. Is there anything I need to know as far as model changes from the previous year? Different sizes/lengths/parts/etc... I've ordered the Givi top case bracket and V47 topcase. Hopefully it looks good.

I'm also thinking more towards the Shad 3P side cases and brackets (I prefer Shad over Givi) as the Shad's don't require relocating the turn signals like the Givi's. (Or at least that's what the sites are saying!)

Also, I'm really wanting a center stand but reading those threads, what's the deal? Does the Hepco Becker actually hit the chain?!?! Compared to the other brand that needs the kickstand down? The guy at the parts counter was looking up Kawasaki and they don't seem to have one made/available.

Any information is greatly appreciated! :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I have ridden my three V 650s over 150K miles w/ ONLY the sidestand, and a re-purposed aluminum crutch for road-side chain lubing, altho' I use "track-stands" in my shop. Here're a few pics:

The velcro is used to keep the front brakes ON so the bike won't roll.

And here's a pic of it in use enroute to Dawson City in '16, holding my Gen 3:

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
I use a something similar to your fancy crutch for my KLR, but the cheap KLR version using a piece of PVC plumbing pipe. Very sophisticated.

On the V, I opted for the Hepco Becker. While not required, grinding off a bit of the stand frame gives a lot more tolerance for chain slack. Otherwise, you have to be quite anal on chain adjustment. The frame on the stand is way over engineered, so no worries in that department.

BTW, definitely use lock tight on the pivot bolts.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the V, I opted for the Hepco Becker. While not required, grinding off a bit of the stand frame gives a lot more tolerance for chain slack.

ANy pictures of where/how you grinded away? And why did you chose the H/B over the (is it) Mototech?

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
I use a something similar to your fancy crutch for my KLR, but the cheap KLR version using a piece of PVC plumbing pipe. Very sophisticated....
On my ride to Alaska on KLRs w/ a buddy (back in '09), we fashioned a HIGH TECH solution for him to help lube his chain - a piece of fire-wood the appropriate length to put under the right-side of his swingarm.

Worked as well as MY crutch, but did NOT look nearly as WHIZZY...!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts