·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Not new to bikes, middle aged, last bike, just sold,
Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

From the home page

"The Versys really is not a dual-purpose bike but rather an all pavement bike. Thanks to its ZR rated tires, alloy wheels, and exposed and low exhaust system this bike is not recommended for off road use. However, it does offer a wide selection of riding options as long as they are on pavement and the bike will not be subjected to abuse."

I plan to purchase a "V" for pavement and also hard packed forest service roads. Might take some different tires.
kup1236

·
Registered
469 Posts
I personally think any standard bike does decent on dirt roads as long as it is not extreme stuff.

Companies have to cover their back and thus them saying about dirt use. I've read many posts of guys who have taken theirs on dirt and it did great.

If you want protection, look up Happy Trails' products.

Also, that muffler is tough. I wouldn't go over a boulder on it but it is not a tin can either.

Also, I found street tires do well on dirt too. If I was really needing assistance, I'd carry a pump because I'd take down the air pressure to about 25 psi for more grip on dirt, when done, pump them up again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I have to agree that any standard bike does decent on, at least hard packed dirt roads and such. I had a ninja 250 that I rode on some local 4-wheeler trails (this was not in my plans..but it just kinda happened, as a result of my riding companion riding a BMW 650 GS and insisting I could do it too)....but, it actually did great. I mean..I wasn't running it through mud or any other rough terrain...but we did go up and down some hills..through a field..that sorta thing..

I'm buying a versys this week, and I have confidence in its dirt road capabilities. If not..I'm gonna kick myself in the ass for not buyin the v-strom instead! Haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am less than 100 miles from the Badlands in North Dakota, and less than 350 miles from the Black Hills of South Dakota. I have rode most paved roads of the Black Hills during Sturgis.
Now I plan to see the less traveled hard packed forest service roads for a different view, but not today. We have snow forecast and it is
a -10 temp.

kup1236

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would love to ride out in there.....but not when the "freak" show is going on. It looks like a great place to ride.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not any expert at dirt riding, but from so much of the reading on forums from people who ride rough dirt will say, any bike over 300 lbs or so is too hard to take in the rough stuff.

So with that, how can the V not handle typical dirt roads? It has ground clearance, good suspension and is light for a bike its size. The rest depends on skill and guts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts