Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Versys why shouldn't one buy the 2010 Aprilla Shiver 750 which is lighter, has better styling and performance, is more technically advanced, comes standard with significantly higher end parts and has a 90 HP ( 80 @ the rear wheel) V -twin engine?? Just askin. :confused:

·
Registered
214 Posts
You should buy what ever you want whenever you want.

If i held back from buying a bike because i asked some lame question on a messagage board there wouldn't be 13 bikes in my garage.

buy it and enjoy it for it's differences.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The Shiver is a very nice bike, rides nicely too. A couple of friends I ride with bought one. One sold it after a few months the other still has his. They both agree on most things, but whether it suits you or not depends what you want to do with this bike. If you want to travel off the beaten path (and I don't mean off road, just away from frequent stops) the Shiver has a limited range both due to gas tank size and comfort (ergos+no screen). If you only do short(ish) day rides, it's a kick to ride. Not so much fun after a full day in the saddle.

Go ride one and see if it fits you or not.

Gustavo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Lovely bike, but parts can be a bear to get. I hear it is getting better now that Piaggio owns Aprilia. Apparently, they are warehousing parts in the US somewhere, and that is helping with parts availability and accessibility.

I am liking the look of the Shiver GT, and the Dorsoduro... a lot. However, the V is just so damn good at so many things, it is proving very difficult to find a better all round bike. I have yet to find one.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
the Versys why shouldn't one buy the 2010 Aprilla Shiver 750 which is lighter, has better styling and performance, is more technically advanced, comes standard with significantly higher end parts and has a 90 HP ( 80 @ the rear wheel) V -twin engine?? Just askin. :confused:
How many people on here paid retail for there V?

Doubt your finding the Shiver discounted.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Because it is $1400 more, so for $3000 more you can get a ZX6, or for $8000 more a BMW SS1000R or for.....see the point? There isn't one, you buy what you want for a price you can afford, everything else is meaningless.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Uh, wouldn't that be a question for the folks on the Aprilia forums? They did spend the extra bucks, after all.

Whit

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure where you get the idea that the Shiver is lighter than the Versys. Aprilia says it weighs 418 lb. dry. The Versys used to be advertised at 399 dry. Now the V is listed at about 454 with a full tank. The only riding weight I could find for a Shiver is an old Motorcyclist test that lists it at 487 lbs. with a full tank.

And that's 3.4 gals of gas in the Shiver and 5 gals in the Versys.

So the Shiver is over 30 lbs heavier and when you add in difference of 1.6 gals of gas, it makes it closer to 40+ lbs.

The Versys is cheaper, lighter, has more dealers and more available accessories, and just plain works! I've been riding for 45 years, and this is the all-around best motorcycle I've ever had.

But if you want a Shiver, go for it. I'd suggest riding each one first.

Michael

·
Registered
94 Posts
For a few thousand less than I spent on my V, I could get a flat-screen TV.

For about 75K more than I spent on my V, I could get a Porsche Panamera.

For about the same price as I spent on my V, I could get a really nice road bicycle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't take me wrong I wasn't lobbying for anyone, including myself, to run out and buy a Shiver. I was only trying to provoke some reasons why the Shiver isn't considered more often as a viable alternative to the V. For me it would be the the non-availability of parts and dealers to deal with problems when they arose. Nevertheless, I still believe that for the difference in price between the two bikes you get a lot more upscale parts and technology - - - hence more value - - - with the Shiver for not that much more money. Doubt I would have said that before the significant price increase Kawasaki laid on us with the 2010 version. Just my opinion. :feedback:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the Shiver is more appropriately compared to an SV650 nekkid. If you're going to compare an Aprilia to the Versys, it'd be the Pegaso.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Because I ride all year in most weather conditions. I can't afford an R1200RT, GS, Multistrada, even a Concours or an FJR for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I truly love the Versys, wonderful motorcycle. If I had a little more cash in my pocket, I would probably upgrade to a more feature rich bike. But the bottom line is that in my opinion you cannot find another bike that is so...versatile, for such a low price.

Mike

·
Registered
121 Posts
As a former very satisfied Ape rider (their maxis), I took a good long look at a 09 Mana 850, with hard cases, that my local dealer had for $8k. Nice design, great power, and auto to boot! What shifted me :sorry: towards the Versys was the servicing issue; I like riding in places where there isn't an Aprilia shop within 150-200 miles. Even with parts now more readily available, the marque simply no longer meets my needs.

That being said, I'm glad I found the Versys; properly set up, it fits my size and style perfectly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think you have to factor in what you can purchase the bikes for. I paid $5300 for my Versys...brand spankin' new. Even if there was an Aprillia dealer anywhere within 200 miles of my house, I don't think I could get a Shiver for only $1400 more.

I love European bikes. If I could have afforded it, I'd have picked up a used Multistrada from one of the lucky stiffs upgrading to the 1200. But even the used Multis were going for $9000.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What's a good Tiger go for? Why not add 3k and get one of those. It's all in what you can afford.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It's all in what you can afford.
You can't buy something more than you can afford, but you can buy something less than you can afford. I think the Versys does so much for what it costs that many of us choose not to spend more. That leaves money left over for gas and tires and farkles.

Spending more doesn't always offer a proportional return on the added expenditure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The reason I didn't buy a Shiver (and I have test ridden one) is that I couldn't get one for $1,400 than the $5,300 I paid for a Versys, it's not significantly lighter (if at all), the styling is not a big issue to me pro or con...

But the real reason I bought a Versys is because my particular needs called for a lightweight, inexpensive, build-it-myself sport-tourer I could take on trips like the one below, and I couldn't do that with the Shiver's range, lack of wind protection and lack of luggage options. For someone just kicking around town, with different needs, the Shiver might make a great choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts