Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
new guy from Massachusetts, considering an 09 Versys 650. familiar with the engine- my son had an 09 Ninja 650r, i put more miles on it than he did. i'll know by the weekend if i'm pulling the trigger

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i almost pulled the trigger on a Vstrom , which sounds like a pretty good bike, but after 3 Zrx's , a C10 , and my son's 650r i decided to stick with Mama Kaw

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
new guy from Massachusetts, considering an 09 Versys 650. familiar with the engine- my son had an 09 Ninja 650r, i put more miles on it than he did. i'll know by the weekend if i'm pulling the trigger
Welcome to the forum. Suggest the following...

• Obtain the factory service manual in PDF form, from this forum for free.
  • Do the valve adjustment ASAP before riding if you are unsure if this has already been done. Many on this forum, including myself, have done this before the recommended mileage for this procedure and found tight valves. It will help your engine live longer and run better. Also a throttle body sync immediately after this to ensure cylinders are getting an equivalent amount of air and engine is running as smoothly as possible.
  • Also change the front fork oil. I would expect it to be very dirty and thick on a 2009 bike. Might as well replace fork seals at the same time to save money in the long run. Use 10W synthetic fork oil OR synthetic transmission fluid (that has the same viscosity at 40C - 28). Note not all transmission fluids do. Using synthetic fork oil will help prevent a harsh ride in cool weather as it does not become as thick in cooler weather. You only need 1L so cost difference with synthetic is minimal.
  • The above two items are neglected on most used bikes
  • Also lube and adjust throttle cables and lube and adjust clutch cables.
  • Clean the air box and air filter while you are in there adjusting the valves
  • Check and adjust spark plugs at the same time
  • Check chain slack and adjust if required. Also check for binding and replace chain with XRing type if there is any. Also check teeth on front sprocket if chain needs replacement.
  • If there is any fairing buzzing at certain RPM's check this forum for solutions as there is a simple fix for this.
  • Adjust the suspension for your weight and riding style followed by aligning the headlight vertically as this will change headlight alignment.
  • Adjust shift lever and brake pedals for your feet.
  • Get a VStream windshield if you want more wind protection. VStream are the best option for the 2007-2009 bikes IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks for the warm welcome.
meeting a guy Sat to exchange $$ for 09 V650. not cosmetically perfect, but neither am i.:grin2:
low miles, 2Bros slip on and juice box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts