Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everybody, my Name is Gennaro and write from Italy.
I recenti face a problem on battery recharge on my versys 650 2011. I checked stator resistance and they seems to be good (around 0.3 ohm for each pair), while current is 0 volt. Is it the rotor in fault? Did you experienced the same failure? Is it possible to change this piece with poor mechanics skills? Thanks in advance for all information on get to arrive to this conclusion (rotor in fault)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your fast reply.
I already read your post specifying the steps to test stator failure. My reading was 0 V ad idle, 0.3 V at 4000 RPM. I will repeat this test again following your suggestion, but for sure the reading will be around 0 for each phase.
If I we'll understand what you wrote, in my model could be more likely a problem in the rotor as it is a different class respect to newer version?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To spare the wiz from some typing, I must say a few things.

I don't have the impression that you are measuring correctly. You mention volts when talking about current...
Don't expect any current (amps) while the stator is disconnected for voltage measurement!
Don't try to measure amps straight through your amps meter it will just burn its internal fuse and indicate 0 amps.

The volts from each stator phases are alternating (AC voltage, no DC). You should see between 24 and 28 AC volts at 2000 rpms. That is the test recommended in those threads.

Once reconnected to the regulator, above 2000 rpms, its DC output (simply measurable at the battery) should be around 14.3 - 14.5 DC volts
(and very small traces of AC volts, like 0.1 or less, from the imperfection of the regulator).

Hope this helps.
You are right, I wrote current due to my bad English, but I meant volt. Apart that I measured Volt AC just after stator, while the reading of DC output is just the battery level. I doesn't notice any increase with the engine on.
My first suspect comes from the headlight that non come on when engine starts then I performed all test following onewizars trips

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all
@onewizard I will provide all you ask, ASAP.
I perform the measurement at the stator plug-disconnected from the regulator.
My meter switch automatically from DC to AC according to input, a doubt is coming: could be a voltage frequency different from 50Hz leading to an erroneous AC reading?
I will also check meter manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The meter is this one

and it should be able to read DC volts in 40Hz-1KHz range. So it should be good enough. I will repeat measurement in the next weekend selecting the DC range manually and taking some pictures.

Ciao
Gen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some updated from weekend test. First of all I try AC reading on home power and it works fine:230V both when meter is used in automatic mode and when used in manual setting the range to xxx.yy Volt.
Then I read the stator at its plug disconnected from regulator obtaining the following reading (let's say A, B, C the three wires) at 1000 and 2000 RPM respectively:
  1. AB: 2.36,2.70Volt
  2. BC: 2.36,2.70Volt
  3. CA: 4.25,4.40Volt
I discover that meter doesn't work in auto for these measurements, so I set it in AC with range xx.yy
Then for AB only a performed several measurement at 1000,2000,3000 and 4000 RPM for which I toke some picts:
@1000rpm
Automotive tire Communication Device Gauge Measuring instrument Font

@2000rpm
Plant Automotive tire Gadget Motor vehicle Measuring instrument

@3000rpm
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Measuring instrument Tool

@4000rpm
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Gadget Measuring instrument

Then detail to show where I take the measurement:
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Can I state that problem is stator? And exclude a rotor failure?
Thanks to all helping,
Gennaro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure. Despite the damage, it is a good news as I can try to replace it by myself. Different it should have been in case of rotor fault, where I think more skills are required. I'll keep you updated, and thank again for your accurate explanation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today I removed the stator cover, which confirm stator is fried

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Now I should find a new one in the jungle of the online store!

A couple of questions for when I will set up the cover:
1) the gasket seems to be ok do you suggest to take a new one? In the case I can use the old one it should be cleaned?
2) is it recommend to use any sealant between the gasket and the cover, or in the rubber junction?
Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle chain Bicycle part Bicycle tire

A picture showing rotor and gasket condition
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle chain Alloy wheel Rim

Thanks to everyone help in this thread

Gennaro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the back side of stator
Art Gas Creative arts Automotive tire Jewellery

Thanks for the electrosport suggestion it should be ESG638 model (I read also thread started by @leftbrain99 on stator replacement).
So I can buy this one.
My regulator should be the shunt one
Automotive tire Grey Wood Line Font

then my next step should be the regulator replacement, can you please indicate which model fit on my versys and how much replacement should be plug & play?

According to you actual stator is the original or it is already changed? I bought my versys last year's

Thanks
Gen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, so i will procede buying the Elecrosport esg638 stator, that is fine with both series and shunt regulator.
Then I will expect your outcome on polaris series stator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts