Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'da share this just because.

I wanted a discrete 12v outlet. I chose not to put it near the front of my bike because I want to eventually get an electrified tankbag for charging my phone, so I put it in the rear panel that doesn't have the seat lock on it; in anticipation that I'll always want a 12v outlet behind me for helmet bluetooth charging.

I cut the hole with a heated knife, and smoothed it round with an air die grinder. The outlet is a waterproof marine 12v outlet from Academy.

The wiring is relayed key-on, using the license plate lamp as the relay trigger.

The power from the battery is done via an inline waterproof glass fuse holder, because it was small and easy to hide. All the crimped on terminals have heat shrunk plastic necks to keep water out of the area where different metals mix to prevent black oxidation between the copper wire and the steel terminals from forming. The spade connectors on the relay and outlet terminals are not waterproofed cause they don't need to be, but they are taped to protect against any inadvertent arcing.

Eventually I plan on getting something like a Fuzeblocks.com distribution center or similar for hooking up other things like a radar detector or a Zumo 665. For now a simple fused relay set up is all I need to charge my phone while it's on my side or in my pannier.

Battery Connection

Relay

Back of outlet (theres more room between the outlet and the panel mount than there appears)

Overview

Outlet Open

Outlet Closed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good job. Mine is dash-mount direct to the battery with 10A inline fuse. Radio Shack had this unit. Quality is good. Wiring and fuse were included. Hole cut with Dremmel drum sander. Takes a little patience but it is nice and round and snug.

·
Registered
140 Posts
No you don't have to pull the tank. You can run the wires straight back in line with the existing harness. Just need to pull the right side tank fairing.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
With a little patience and finesse you can route it under the left fairing without taking it out. Plenty of room there. Perfect tool for drilling the hole is a step unibit. However, at $45 its a bit more than I willing to pay for a tool that I will not use often. So I used a 3/4 unibit (only $15) and finish with a dremel.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Is your socket water proof?
I was looking for something like that and there are some socket that are water proof when not in use, and some that are water proof when in use with a special plug.
I'm looking for something like that for a GPS unit.

·
Premium Member
16,108 Posts
No cutting needed. Photo was taken before cable hidden and zipped tied down.also have a 3" socket outlet for the connector. hook to battery run your cable.less than 5 minutes.

IMG_0062 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
97 Posts
Heh chid, the Marine 12V socket that i installed in my dash IS waterproof. it obviously come with a good sealing cap, and beneath where the wires connect - there is a complete rubber boot that seals where you two leads are connected and the fuse holder is solid as well

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is the exact one i got off Ebay like Boricua says...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-marine-12-volt-accessory-socket-Harness-/120631260405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c162ef4f5

Used a 1 1/8" metal hole saw with my drill and it fit like a glove, I did not use the square face plate that came with it however and when i screwed it down on the underneath with the included plastic nut, i wrapped electrical tap around the threads behind the nut to prevent it from vibrating and backing off - then the waterproof boot slipped over and i routed the wrapped wires down the right side of the tank and underneath it and zipped it to the wires harness that you can see right there along the tank - very tidy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I know it says water proof, but there are some that are waterproof when not in use ( they have a sealing cap), but there are some that are water proof in use also ( they have a sealing plug that seals the connection when in use with rubber seal and a locking mechanism) so you can use it if you need a GPS running and the rain comes.

Heh chid, the Marine 12V socket that i installed in my dash IS waterproof. it obviously come with a good sealing cap, and beneath where the wires connect - there is a complete rubber boot that seals where you two leads are connected and the fuse holder is solid as well

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Marine means 'rust resistant' in a salt water environment not waterproof.

Check the weather forecast before you go out on a ride and watch the sky when you do. When the skies close in, stop for coffee break if you can. If you can't, unplug the thing put the cap and your rain gear on :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's why you should buy a water proof socket when in use. They have a special plug that seals also when you use it, so you have no problem.

Quote: Waterproof (when not in use), complete with sealing cover to stop water getting into it and shorting out, as used in marine applications.

You should look for this:
Quote: The socket accepts any standard size plug although it has a twist lock system which, when used with the twist lock plug (from the same manufacturer and also available from our Ebay shop), stops the plug vibrating loose and is weather resistant.

there are some that are water proof in use.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used the same 12V Marine product but mounted it on the right side of my black plastic dash

Hey! That looks strangely very familiar! Well, except I got the cheapee Radio Shack version. :D I think mine is "waterproof" enough for me because I don't intentionally ride in the rain, and if I am caught in it, I won't be charging anything until I find shelter. There was moisture all around my socket last night and this morning and I had no problems.

Thanks again for your help Bill, I appreciate it.
:thanx: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts