Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Versys Riders
I bought a 2015 650 with about 750 total miles. Long story...
I plan to change all fluids and would like to run Synthetic MC motor oil.
Opinions on running dino oil until break-in miles are complete, as this bike is not new but not broken in either.
Thanks and apologies if I did not post this properly. School me.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I am going to say that the bike is as "broke in" as it is going to get and I would be more concerned about dried seals, hoses, and lines than whether you should run synthetic or full dino oil. How and where the bike was stored is the important factor here. You might also consider new tires depending on how and where the bike was stored.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Hello Versys Riders
Opinions on running dino oil until break-in miles are complete, as this bike is not new but not broken in either.
YES - no problems going to synthetic right away - FWIW - I run Mobil1 15w-50 (CAR oil!) and have for OVER 100,000 miles among my V650s. NO clutch issues. I believe if you look thru the threads by "jdrocks" you'll find that he TOO uses the M1 15w-50.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ditto the others. Go ahead and use a high quality synthetic oil. I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. The clutch did behave much better with that oil than the factory dino oil.

Also ditto on checking out the rest of the bike. Completely flush the brake fluid front and rear because it grabs moisture and then the moisture damages the innards of the brake system. Flush the coolant. Seriously consider replacing the coolant hoses at the same time, which is a very easy job. I would replace the tires. Not only because they are now 5+ yrs old, but also because the factory tires are pretty crap. There are many choices which are a lot better than the Dunlops.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to say that the bike is as "broke in" as it is going to get and I would be more concerned about dried seals, hoses, and lines than whether you should run synthetic or full dino oil. How and where the bike was stored is the important factor here. You might also consider new tires depending on how and where the bike was stored.
Ditto the others. Go ahead and use a high quality synthetic oil. I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. The clutch did behave much better with that oil than the factory dino oil.

Also ditto on checking out the rest of the bike. Completely flush the brake fluid front and rear because it grabs moisture and then the moisture damages the innards of the brake system. Flush the coolant. Seriously consider replacing the coolant hoses at the same time, which is a very easy job. I would replace the tires. Not only because they are now 5+ yrs old, but also because the factory tires are pretty crap. There are many choices which are a lot better than the Dunlops.

Enjoy your new bike!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replies. I was planning to do all fluids, but will check hoses or lines. Which seals should I replace, or should I just monitor them? Agree on the tires, and want to go with a 90/10 or 80/20. Wasnt sure if it was the tires that felt odd in cornering or my 5 years off from riding. Probably more me then them! :)

·
Registered
Versys 650 (2020) - Yamaha XTE 600 (2001)
7 Posts
Hi,
In your situation, I would keep a very close eye on the fork during the first 100 miles (no oil leak ?).
Like Fly-Sig said, don't forget to replace the tyres (probably as dry as old bread) and brake fluids.
No compromise on oil : only the best you can afford, if you want to use your motorcycle for a long time.

See you later
Emmanuel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Emmanuel. I'll have to ignore the frugal (aka cheap) voice in my head and spend some money on tires. There's so much tread left, but it may be rotting bread... um, tread.

·
Super Moderator
19,748 Posts
Thank you, Emmanuel. I'll have to ignore the frugal (aka cheap) voice in my head and spend some money on tires. There's so much tread left, but it may be rotting bread... um, tread.
I bought a used motorhome once. It was about seven years old but looked NEW, as did the Michelin tires, so I started on our FIRST trip w/ it. About one hour after we started out, there was a HUGE BANG! My first thought was that the fridge had somehow fallen into the aisle so I looked into the INSIDE mirror - the fridge was still there - so Iooked at my side-mirrors to see something large on the road, still bouncing, smoke coming off it, a ways back.

Pulled over where it was safe. Checked the coach to find that the inside tire on a 'double-tire' axle had BLOWN, taking out the side fairing.

To make a LONG story shorter - repairs to the coach were around $1,200 (as I recall), plus I replaced EIGHT tires (AS I SHOULD HAVE DONE IMMEDIATELY WHEN I BOUGHT IT!) as soon as I could. o_O

To quote Forest Gump - "Stupid is as stupid DOES!"

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a used motorhome once. It was about seven years old but looked NEW, as did the Michelin tires, so I started on our FIRST trip w/ it. About one hour after we started out, there was a HUGE BANG! My first thought was that the fridge had somehow fallen into the aisle so I looked into the INSIDE mirror - the fridge was still there - so Iooked at my side-mirrors to see something large on the road, still bouncing, smoke coming off it, a ways back.

Pulled over where it was safe. Checked the coach to find that the inside tire on a 'double-tire' axle had BLOWN, taking out the side fairing.

To make a LONG story shorter - repairs to the coach were around $1,200 (as I recall), plus I replaced EIGHT tires (AS I SHOULD HAVE DONE IMMEDIATELY WHEN I BOUGHT IT!) as soon as I could. o_O

To quote Forest Gump - "Stupid is as stupid DOES!"

Good luck!
Thanks for that short and important story. It will stay with me. Glad nobody got hurt.
Looking at tires as we speak. I hear you loud and clear, Lieutenant Dan!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Versys Riders

This article helped me choose which oil to use in my bike. There is also a link on the left for recommended oils and filters under the heading "mods and replacement parts."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is a great article, written in an entertaining way. I don't think I could digest one with jargon and charts, so this was perfect. Thank you. NCM61

1 - 13 of 13 Posts