Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year or so ago, I sold my '16 FJR1300A to go smaller. Bought a '21 Z900RS and outfitted it to become my UJM/ST. Love the bike, the prettiest I've owned in 45 years of riding. Meets all of my performance and riding needs except one- it's no good for 2 up riding, as I sadly discovered.

I had purchased my FJR so my high school age daughter could ride w/me. When she went off to college last year I decided the FJR was too much for most of my needs, sold it and bought the Z. Then she comes home for spring break and asks to go for a ride. We gear up and go and w/in 10m she's squirming. By the end of the hour, we're home again- she hates it.

To my chagrin, I'm likely now going to sell or trade the Z and go back to an ST. Initially, I didn't want to buy another FJR and set my sights on a '15-18 Versys 1000. We'd test ridden those before and she liked them. At 100+ lbs lighter than the FJR, I figured this would be an ok compromise. I've shopped, found a couple that suit my needs and almost pulled the trigger but...

I'm a long time Kawi guy but I'm having trouble falling for the V1K tho as it lacks many of the amenities offered by the FJR. And yday, my brother bought a new-to-him '16 FJR and I got the twang again for one.

So now I'm torn between 'settling' for the V1K or just getting another FJR. I know- first world problem. In a perfect world, I'd keep the Z, buy another FJR or V1K but no can do. And no, not interested in a '19+ V1K either.

Thoughts?
Lee

· Premium Member
16,405 Posts
I've had both. An 07 FJR and a 2016 V-1K. If i were to go out today and buy a new bike between the two. I would go with the FJR. Always missed the electric windscreen and shaft drive and extra power when i traded it in for the V-1K....Both get about the same gas mileage...

· Registered
265 Posts
I am fortunate to have both. But at almost 73 years old, I tend to ride the V1K a bit more in the Colorado foothills. I save the FJR for longer straighter rides. (Less twisties) I guess it is because of the weight and seating position. A younger person cannot go wrong with either selection. Depends on your personal preference and finances.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had both. An 07 FJR and a 2016 V-1K. If i were to go out today and buy a new bike between the two. I would go with the FJR. Always missed the electric windscreen and shaft drive and extra power when i traded it in for the V-1K....Both get about the same gas mileage...
The FJR is a fantastic ride and the later gens are better than the earlier ones. My former '16 was fantastic- most comfortable bike I'd ever owned. Plenty of performance and practicality too, as well as a good looking ride. I wish it was 150 lbs. lighter though!
Lee

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am fortunate to have both. But at almost 73 years old, I tend to ride the V1K a bit more in the Colorado foothills. I save the FJR for longer straighter rides. (Less twisties) I guess it is because of the weight and seating position. A younger person cannot go wrong with either selection. Depends on your personal preference and finances.

View attachment 187889
Thanks for your input. I'm 61 but in good shape. Even so, I'd read so many stories of folks dropping their FJRs that it was always a concern for me even though I NEVER dropped my FJR or was in risk of doing so.
Lee

· Registered
122 Posts
I clicked because of the bike comparison.
I'm also torn between these two bikes. I have a 2015 KV1 that I bought from a gal that also has an FJR.
She rode the FJR more for commuting, but kept the KV1 in hopes that her kids would ride with her. They did not.
When she sold it to me, she asked that I call her first if I ever thought about selling it.
I have since moved to the other side of the country. I think I would feel bad if I sold it to someone else.
The price of used bikes (and everything) is keeping me from making a move anyways.
I paid $6K for the KV1 in July of 2020. Similar bikes are listed for $8K today!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
About a year or so ago, I sold my '16 FJR1300A to go smaller. Bought a '21 Z900RS and outfitted it to become my UJM/ST. Love the bike, the prettiest I've owned in 45 years of riding. Meets all of my performance and riding needs except one- it's no good for 2 up riding, as I sadly discovered.

I had purchased my FJR so my high school age daughter could ride w/me. When she went off to college last year I decided the FJR was too much for most of my needs, sold it and bought the Z. Then she comes home for spring break and asks to go for a ride. We gear up and go and w/in 10m she's squirming. By the end of the hour, we're home again- she hates it.

To my chagrin, I'm likely now going to sell or trade the Z and go back to an ST. Initially, I didn't want to buy another FJR and set my sights on a '15-18 Versys 1000. We'd test ridden those before and she liked them. At 100+ lbs lighter than the FJR, I figured this would be an ok compromise. I've shopped, found a couple that suit my needs and almost pulled the trigger but...

I'm a long time Kawi guy but I'm having trouble falling for the V1K tho as it lacks many of the amenities offered by the FJR. And yday, my brother bought a new-to-him '16 FJR and I got the twang again for one.

So now I'm torn between 'settling' for the V1K or just getting another FJR. I know- first world problem. In a perfect world, I'd keep the Z, buy another FJR or V1K but no can do. And no, not interested in a '19+ V1K either.

Thoughts?
Lee
Curious why you don’t like the newer V1000? Lots of great features and comfortable riding position. The suspension is awesome and great lighting. Plenty big enough for 2-up.

If you get a chance to test ride one, you might enjoy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts