Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 is a California one with the carbon canister on the left side. As I'm NOT in California, and I hate that big blob sitting there, I removed it and tied the 3 lines together as per some posts here, back in December. Wasn't venting properly so it was very hard to 'beat the suction' when trying to open for refuelling, so I re-installed the blob and at least I could open the cap...!

Got her back into Canada in April and promptly removed the blob again, but tried something different. Under the tank there are 2 nipples (one 'RED', one 'BLUE') besides the one that drains any fuel around the filler neck onto the ground under the swingarm. By blowing into each one I THOUGHT I understood their functions, so I tied the RED and BLUE together with a short piece of hose, and put it all back together.

Extremely hard to break the suction to get the gas cap open, AGAIN :thumbdown: , so I decided to stop fighting it, and re-installed all the various lines and the 'blob', and now the cap opens easily! :clap:

Has ANYONE removed his canister (blob...) and plumbed his lines so that the gas cap opens easily? :huh:

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Cap the red line (return line for condensed fuel) on the tank. Run the blue line on the tank to a ground vent, with filter on the end if desired to maintain fuel tank venting. Leave the black water/fuel overflow drain line open to ground.
Beside a hard to open cap, vacuum buildup may cause fuel starvation, and in extreme cases can collapse the fuel tank.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
INVADER:

Many thanks! :thanx:

Other guys have said it (and I'll echo their sentiments...) - you are one of the GREATEST assets to us, Versys owners!

:eek:penarms:

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
California models have the same fuel cap through which non-Cali models also breathe through. On Cali-specific ported fuel tanks, the small inlet that pokes out of right rear of fuel cap by the hinge seals into the blue line circuit ... You may be able to remove the seal for the fuel cap's vent inlet in the Cali fuel tank to have it breathe in freely around the fuel cap like non-Cali models, or you could channel your blue line up into concealed area instead of to the ground where it may breathe in more dust and road crap. You could also have a fuel filter (for a few bucks and available in small enough size to fit, as used on small carburated engines) on the end to have your fuel tank breathe in filtered air, or you could connect it to the airbox outlet if you removed/sealed your PAIR valve. :thumb:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Tank Vent...

Do not...put a tank vent hose in a air box that could ignite gas fumes when and if a backfire flame shoots out the throttle bodys...Don't ask how I know this can happen...:badidea:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dirt Bike Fire...

Yeah, back in the 80's, one of my dirt bikes had a small fire in the air box due to me routing my gas cap vent, overflow hose down inside the air box, spilling gas on the air filter and it backfired a flame ,I guess out of the carb...melted the foam filter...not too bad... Wait a minute, now I recall it was my Yamaha YZ 400 two stroke...Man that thing was a beast:thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seem they must have switched things around in 2011 cause here is what I have left after I took the canister off my bike

1 inlet hose to tank
1 drain hose to tank
1 hose to the throttle bodies
1 to the throttle bottle intake boots....

way I see it if I took the inlet hose (tank) and tied it to the one from the throttle body boots that would give me filter air to the tank...
drain hose to ground and cap the one to the throttle bodies???

thoughts

thanks

Dan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Seem they must have switched things around in 2011 cause here is what I have left after I took the canister off my bike

1 inlet hose to tank
1 drain hose to tank
1 hose to the throttle bodies
1 to the throttle bottle intake boots....

way I see it if I took the inlet hose (tank) and tied it to the one from the throttle body boots that would give me filter air to the tank...
drain hose to ground and cap the one to the throttle bodies???

thoughts

thanks

Dan
does anybody see a reason not to do it like this???

Dan

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
There's vacuum on your throttle bodies where air gets sucked in. You don't want to allow the throttle bodies to draw air from any hose (vacuum leak).

·
Registered
90 Posts
my 2011 has a 4th line on it going to the bottom of the air filter horn....???

so did i do this right....???

blue dot line to ground
red dot plug
throttle body vacuum plugged
and line to filter horn plugged

Dan

·
Registered
250 Posts
Another thing you could do it leave the canister on it and ride it. :) This isnt your 1974 Camaro by the way. ;)
Scary, was just thinking how we would disco the "air pump" on the mid 70's cars we would buy and plug the manifold hole with a cast iron plug. Not seeing the impacts in performance on this bike that we did with the 70's 4/6 cylinder cars so I'm not even going to look for the "canister".

1 - 20 of 33 Posts