Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vs lean quite a bit on the side-stand (HIGHER from tires) so I thought I'd add a washer or two to 'shim' the 'stand to be more upright.

Looking at it I figured I could remove the 'stand by FIRST removing the switch's long U-shaped piece that goes onto the post on the 'stand allowing me to leave the switch alone while removing the side-stand. It SEEMS to be held by a Philips screw, which I started loosening....
:badidea:

After maybe a half turn it felt like the screw was jammed. I 'messed' w/ it some more, then removed the 6mm bolt holding the switch in and opened it to see what was keeping the screw from turning....
:censored:

THAT screw goes into the switch internals, and I had now "buggared" it up!
:(

I put everything back (as best I could...:eek:), then started the engine to check WHAT was now buggared.... It started OK, would NOT shut-off when I moved the 'stand down, or when I 'wiggled' the stand to see if it would quit in any other position - stayed running, but I added a 10mm socket, etc to the saddle-bag IN CASE I might need to remove the switch while waiting for the new one.
:rolleyes:

Went onto the computor and found a switch at BikeBandit for about $82 delivered, so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I did about an hour's work replacing it (the SW-Motech crash-bars need some rotation to clear the path to the bottom bolt on the front sprocket cover). Started it up (worked FINE), so I went for a ride....

DON'T try THAT at home IF your V leans a bit... 'specially if you DON'T want to spend nearly a C-note for a DUMB mistake!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

The Kawasakis I have are the first bikes I've owned with a stand interlock.

I noticed a difference in opinion on the stand safety switch here with the Versys folks verses the KLR guys. Everyone wants it on the bike a working here and the KLR crew take it off and bypass the wiring ASAP. Guess the Versys people want the safely of the interlock and the KLR riders want greater reliability in the woods. BYW a lots of KLR rides bypass the clutch switch as well.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

I noticed a difference in opinion on the stand safety switch here with the Versys folks verses the KLR guys. Everyone wants it on the bike a working here and the KLR crew take it off and bypass the wiring ASAP. Guess the Versys people want the safely of the interlock and the KLR riders want greater reliability in the woods. BYW a lots of KLR rides bypass the clutch switch as well.
Klr people, usually, go on rougher terrain than V, USUALLY

You don't want you engine to dye on you because you stumble on something that would trigger the switch, hence te removal of said switch

My 2 cents

LOP

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My Vs lean quite a bit on the side-stand (HIGHER from tires) so I thought I'd add a washer or two to 'shim' the 'stand to be more upright.

Looking at it I figured I could remove the 'stand by FIRST removing the switch's long U-shaped piece that goes onto the post on the 'stand allowing me to leave the switch alone while removing the side-stand. It SEEMS to be held by a Philips screw, which I started loosening....
:badidea:

After maybe a half turn it felt like the screw was jammed. I 'messed' w/ it some more, then removed the 6mm bolt holding the switch in and opened it to see what was keeping the screw from turning....
:censored:

THAT screw goes into the switch internals, and I had now "buggared" it up!
:(

I put everything back (as best I could...:eek:), then started the engine to check WHAT was now buggared.... It started OK, would NOT shut-off when I moved the 'stand down, or when I 'wiggled' the stand to see if it would quit in any other position - stayed running, but I added a 10mm socket, etc to the saddle-bag IN CASE I might need to remove the switch while waiting for the new one.
:rolleyes:

Went onto the computor and found a switch at BikeBandit for about $82 delivered, so I ordered it. It arrived yesterday and I did about an hour's work replacing it (the SW-Motech crash-bars need some rotation to clear the path to the bottom bolt on the front sprocket cover). Started it up (worked FINE), so I went for a ride....

DON'T try THAT at home IF your V leans a bit... 'specially if you DON'T want to spend nearly a C-note for a DUMB mistake!
Eddie

What's that you're showing us in the first picture ?!?

You know what you should put there to kept that space nice, clean and well lube ?

LOP

PS Sorry for the breakage, but more so the 80 some bucks ...

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you got it fixed.

I removed BOTH on my KLR as it has a habit of failing WAY-BACK-IN-THE-WOODS...! (And I believe the V switch is a better system.)

Eddie

What's that you're showing us in the first picture ?!?

You know what you should put there to kept that space nice, clean and well lube ?

LOP

PS Sorry for the breakage, but more so the 80 some bucks ...
Yes, Phil, but my neighbor will NOT let me keep his cat there...!:goodidea:

Heres what i used to get rid of the lean when i needed to. Just kept it in the saddle bag..
Good idea Joe, but I figured I'd do a more permanent fix due the HIGHER nature of my two Vs.
:cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
My sidestand cut-out switch failed a few months ago. I had it checked at the shop when I was getting a tire on. The shop quoted list for the part, but I told them to hold off on it. I found that it was a shared part by many Kawi models. Got a used one for about $20 and installed it the other day. Works great.
Kawasaki Heavy Industries. They aren't going to make a new part if they already have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts