Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd share how I fitted a pair of KTM 990SMT handguards to my Gen2 Versys.

This is what you should get in the kit. The handguards and all the fittings which come in two separate packs.

I also bought a pair of R&G (slider) bar ends. I tried different ways to mount the guards, none of which was satisfactory. I got these to make a neater job.

OK, first off, remove the oe bar ends.

I then removed the plastic cable hangers as they were in the way of the best position to mount the handlebar clamp ends of the guards.

Rather than use pieces of rubber strip to take up the slack between the clamps and the 'bars (KTM use a fat bar), I used double sided numberplate sticky tape. Then it was a simple matter of clamping the two ends of the guard together. I didn't fully tighten the clamps until the other end was fitted.

Now on to the handlebar end. Here we have the R&G bar end (minus the black plastic slider) and the KTM inserts for the handlebar. I cut the shank off the end which enabled me to place this cut piece into the R&G part.

Like so. This gives the plastic a wider contact area plus some grip for the plastic to bite into.

Then it's just a matter of offering this assembly together. I used the KTM bolts and added a little thread lock on each of them.

All that was needed was for everything to be tightened up. I didn't go mad on the inboard clamps as I have heard of some people over-tightening and breaking the guards.

And that's it, job done !! Pretty easy really and I'm happy with the results. They seem to offer good coverage and I personally think they suit the lines and finish of the Gen2 Versys rather well.

Cost-wise, the KTM guards were £42.00 (pretty cheap IMO) and the R&G bar ends were £25.00 (not so cheap considering) which works out around $102 U.S.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Those KTM guards look quite a bit beefier than the KTM guards I bought 3 years ago.

Nice.

·
Super Moderator
16,056 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hi Davy,

Just wondering, how hard is it to remove the bolt that mounts the balancer/dampener/slider on the handle bar.

I had a shorty Allen key and it won't budge. Did u add loctite to it when you put them back together? Thanks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wondering, how hard is it to remove the bolt that mounts the balancer/dampener/slider on the handle bar.
Resistance was futile ! My Allen key is quite long tho' and it took a bit of a yank to get it started, but it wasn't too difficult.

Did u add loctite to it when you put them back together?
Yes, I used thread lock on reassembly.

:thumb:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Davy, you set the standard, nicely done and well presented! :thumb::thumb:

I have the older KTM guards as as well, but maybe their more organic lines go better with the first gen... I do like the textured surface on the new guards, it integrates nicely with the black trim pieces on the bike. Right now I'm using bugs for texture. :D
The problem with either KTM guard on the Vs is the taper on the bars that accommodates the stock bar-end weights. Lose the weights and you get a gap between the guard and the grip. Keep them on and the supplied hardware doesn't work and the whole thing is a little too long to look right.
Davy's solution covers the gap, adds a nice bit of bling, and adds some weight at the bar ends. Brilliant!

Here is the right R&G part at Twisted Throttle-
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5826/

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Davy, thanks for the tips.

It is in my observation that it is important to keep the length of the handle bars the same or longer, if possible, in other words, if the original bar ends have been removed to install a hand guard, it is good to get back that 'length' by using other means. This is to protect the fairings during a drop.

Got 2 buddies with V, both with crash sliders. The one without hand guards (2009 model) when accidentally dropped did not have damages to the fairings, besides a hurt ego and scratched sliders, bar ends and scratched givi top box. The other (2010 model), has a Acerbis single point mounting hand guard and with a removed stock bar ends, wasn't so lucky. There were slight damages to the radiator shroud, fairing, front signal, and dash board edges. He has the Givi V35 side box which took some of the impact.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Note, doing this hand guard install on my new all black 2011. One question, what shield do you have on there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One question, what shield do you have on there.
Shield, as in screen ? It is a Powerbronze Flip Screen. Approx 4" taller than standard. Saying that, it's now been sold and I've gone back to stock as the taller screen introduced turbulence to the peak of my Arai TourX.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts