Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
165 Posts
Need advice on how to mount two five foot rods on bike for safe travel.
I could only get one image in my mind. What about similar to a way antennas on a bagger? You'd just have to come up with a way to attach to the frame or the hard bags don't know. Worth a look???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
PVC pipe with screw on end caps. Or store bought for more $$$.

Or buy what I have.

Rectangle Art Eyewear Wood Packaging and labeling

Eye Writing implement Office supplies Tool Ball pen
I also have one like this, but in a hard plastic case with reel and some tackle.

Or get a telescopic rod.

This would be good for campsite to fishing hole.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
920 Posts
This reminded me of an article I read a while back... with a similar setup: suitable for hooligan racing??

·
Registered
5,855 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
That is AMAZING! And the same engine as in my Van Van.
That Van Van looks like it was made to tote a surfboard to the beach ! I like the FI and oil cooler on the Van Van; the 3.4 gal tank on the DR200 is good though.

When prices come down, I keep telling myself I will get another smaller bike.

Trail 125 min
KLX230 max

I'd like to see someone trick out a Van Van and race it !

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That Van Van looks like it was made to tote a surfboard to the beach ! I like the FI and oil cooler on the Van Van; the 3.4 gal tank on the DR200 is good though.

When prices come down, I keep telling myself I will get another smaller bike.

Trail 125 min
KLX230 max

I'd like to see someone trick out a Van Van and race it !
Main use in Japan is beach and surf, so I've read. Easy to exceed the suspension capability.

The trail 125 is larger than I thought it would be. It is retro cool. The klx230 would be the better off road bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went on a trip last weekend, My fly rod was uncomfortably wide when strapped to the bags sideways. I considered mounting it vertically but was uneasy with the attachment method. I wound up putting it in my friends pickup who was trailering his bike. Probably doesn't help you though unless you have a friend going along with a pickup. 😁

·
Registered
2013 v650
409 Posts
If you are traveling with spinning reels. Make sure that the handle is tightened securely. I have used a pvc pipe with a notch to index the reel, attached to the brackets for a kids seat on a bicycle. They were positioned vertical behind the seat. I had a reel handle come loose due to vibration.

Most fishing stores will have racks that mount to boats or truck that you could copy. Then it is how to mount it to the bike.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Here's a home grown solution... I made it to carry my tripod... for camera... but it would work for
fishing rods long or short. You may need to carry the reel/s in a backpack or something.

The tube is PVC storm water drain painted stealth black with a rattle can.... a couple of bucks per metre.

Be warned: I can be a prize dork when I'm on the wrong side of the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
That is AMAZING! And the same engine as in my Van Van.
Ran across an article where the same rider raced a Van-Van on a dirt track "run what you brung" race. I suspect he is close to or slightly above my riding skill level. (hope the sarcasm comes through as intended here !)

Spoiler: his 3rd place finish shows the rider often means more than the bike ;-)

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Ran across an article where the same rider raced a Van-Van on a dirt track "run what you brung" race. I suspect he is close to or slightly above my riding skill level. (hope the sarcasm comes through as intended here !)

Spoiler: his 3rd place finish shows the rider often means more than the bike ;-)

Very cool article! I’m amazed I missed it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok folks, the wife and I go to rummage sales almost every weekend. I got a nice Mitchell pack rod in case never used for $2 and a Eagle claw new at store for $29. Both are ultra lights and fit in the side luggage.. I will do this for a while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts