Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the used 2011 Versys last week, I decided to ride it up to Vermont for a short trip.

Before leaving I checked all the basics, and installed a 12v power plug using a relay and the stock wiring. Having power to my GPS for the first time meant I didn't have to only power it up when I am lost :)

Packed on the new Motocentric Sport saddlebags, with the same brand tank bag I've had for a while. Good to go for 6-7 days.

The bike handled the extra weight with ease, and I had a blast running the Taconic all the way up until I could hit back roads. Got a chance to put the bike through its paces on the nice sweeping twisters through the Green MTN National Park.

I can't express how happy I am with this purchase. I have noticed a few things that I need to change - namely the seat, which is JUST as bad as everyone warns about. When I get home I'll try the mod of taking out some of the foam to lower the middle of the seat. Cheap, and supposedly effective.

Also bought a Flat Foot from a member - which will come in handy - but would have been great to have on this trip for all the gravel parking I do in Vermont. Next time...

Thanks for all the help I got here while researching the Versys purchase. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Looks like you're in the groove now... Just keep her safe and sound in Brooklyn. Do you have a good place to park her... Or is she on the street?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like you're in the groove now... Just keep her safe and sound in Brooklyn. Do you have a good place to park her... Or is she on the street?
I have a secure garage that I share with a bunch of guys to wrench on (mostly) older bikes. Sorta a collective. For this bike, because it will be my daily ride, I need to keep it close to home, so for now, I have a space to park - but it may be a bit expensive. We will see...

This is by far the newest looking bike I've had - which makes me nervous lately. Oddly, I've been hearing about a ton of vintage bikes being stolen lately - mostly Honda CB series. Good grief, they'll take anything!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next time you come to vt look me up
Where are you located? I'm in Brattleboro tonight - and then hit Joe's pond in west Danville tomorrow. At some point, I'll be making my way over to Barre. I'm not going to miss out on Groton forest, which has been some of the funniest "spirited" riding I've ever done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just rode lower vt yesterday.lots of back roads.and i took the seasonal road over mt tabor.gravel road with some cool places to stop.lots of devistation from irene everywhere.great area to ride

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally made my destination. The weather is gorgeous again today - making for some amazing riding. Got to hit my favorite road, route 232 north through Groton State Forest.

Saw so many riders (mostly Harley's and Baggers) along the way. Come to find out, there is a MASSIVE bike rally in Laconia, NH. might try to check it out tomorrow - although the whole point of getting out of Brooklyn is to get AWAY from crowds :)

And here's the bike parked at Joe's Pond, VT

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll have to look you up next time I make it up there on the bike. I did the 350 miles back to Brooklyn today - made it in 7 hours without too much trouble.

Love the scenery and riding up there! I will have a video put together in the next couple days - I'll post it up when I get it finished.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't have a ton of time - but edited up a quick video (part 1) of the ride up to Vermont from Brooklyn.

The good stuff will really be in Part 2: the riding up in Vermont - dirt roads, and my favorite stretch, the Groton State Forest!

Hope you enjoy. You can watch it HERE

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!

The video was a little shaky due to not having a great location to mount the GoPro, but I'll work on that (or fab something better).

The site is just a bunch of guys and I trying to make old bikes run better (or at all!). That's why this bike is for NOT messing with. We will see how long that lasts... :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just posted up the last in the series from my Vermont trip. Again, video not great, but it finally includes the backroads (dirt), which was the first time on gravel for me. The stock wheel are still on there - but they seemed to handle it well enough, since I took it safe/slow. Easy to see how this think could be really fun on these roads if the better wheels were installed...

Video HERE:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What was your typical speed on the asphalt compared to dirt roads? :feedback:
Up in Vermont, I would tend to have a little fun on the pavement, especially on the twisties if I could. But nothing outrageous. Usually between 55-70, depending on the turn! of course. There were certainly some turns where I had to slow down much more!

On the dirt, I just took it slow. Probably around 35-45mph, unless I was on a nice hard pack, then all bets are off. And sometimes only 25mph around gravel corners that seemed a wipeout was sure to be had :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts