Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just joined the forum because I'm looking to buy an 09 Versys to take to Europe next year for a two month trip. I plan on leaving the bike in Europe so I can go back every few years and do other thrips like a ride across Russia or a lap of the Mediterranean.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had originally purchased a Buell Ulysses for this trip but it was colossal disaster as I bought someone else problems. After putting about $500 in parts on the Uly I decided to cut my losses and move on. I really want a Hypermotard 796 but I can't see spending $7500 for a used one and then leaving it in Europe so I figure the Versys would be a good compromise.

Woot only 48 hours till I can post in the classifieds section.

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! and I'm curious if it's that much less expensive to ship a bike to Europe, rather than buying one there?
No, it's probably not cheaper. However I don't want to take the risk of buying a lemon and having the trip I've been planning for the last three years ruined because of it. I already got burned buying a used Ulysses if this happened once I got to Europe I would be totally screwed.

Buying the bike a year ahead of time will also give me a chance to mod it to my desire.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome, i like the idea of having a bike in a different part of the world to ride.
Yeah once you have a bike in Europe it opens up a lot of possibilities. You can use it as a jumping off point to Europe,Asia, and Africa though when I do Africa I may want a more dirt worthy bike. But who knows I may just decide that the V is the ultimate traveling bike. Storing a bike in Europe should be about $500 a year so if you can manage to go every 2-3 years it seems like a no brainer.

I also have a brother who lives in Munich so I may be able to store the bike for free if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A buddy of mine here in Mexico just brought a bike he was keeping on the Isle of Mann for the past 11 years back here, and he is now storing another one on the West coast of the US, (San Fran), and another on the East coast, (Atlanta). Those are in addition to the 11 he has here in Mexico. I want to be like you guys when I grow up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts