Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Not too much for background when it comes to motorcycles. I've never been on a motorized cycle, just the standard pedal kind. I've been commuting to work for the last 7-8 years and just trying to get from to work and back without death in various cars with solid success. Last year, though, I changed jobs to one within a mile of my house and the idea of getting something a little less expensive, more fun, and completely different came to mind.

I considered a scooter...but realized that I might as well just ride my bicycle for the price vs luxury quotient. Then I found out that some bikes were getting 50-60mph in town! The last few months have been a blur or internet searches, books read, videos watched and countless discussions with riders about their experiences and recommendations. Its been fun and its gotten me very excited.

I'm probably jumping the gun, but I believe I've settled on the bike I want to start off with. I wanted something good for the street but capable of the very occaisonal off-road. I wanted it comfortable to ride but slightly aggressive. It also had to fit me...I'm 6'4" and sit pretty comfortably around 225. I was told dual sports were the bracket for me (as much as I wanted a sport or sport touring). I was almost resigned to a KLR-650...with a secret wish to convert it to a less dirt bike look until someone pointed out the versys. Perfection!

So here I am, stealing all your knowledge and life experiences...waiting until I can save up enough money for the MSF course (and stealing parking lot instructionals from my brother) while I hunt for a suitably used Versys.

I look forward to becoming a seasoned member of this forum and hope to see ya around!

Azaizia

·
Premium Member
16,216 Posts
:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
When you begin riding your V to work, find a longer way to get there and back, to UP the enjoyment, AND warm up your oil!

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
When you begin riding your V to work, find a longer way to get there and back, to UP the enjoyment, AND warm up your oil!

Good advice. Back in the day, while in Germany (Ramstein AB for those who might be interested) I rode about 1/2 mile to work but managed to ride between 35 and 60 miles on the way back home in the evening. Good therapy after a day at work 65 feet below the surface of the earth. Blasted Commies anyway. :D

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
:welcome: to a great forum. Lots of experience and knowledge here and it's free for the asking (I think). :thumb:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I highly recommend taking the MSF (as you stated) even with any help from others. I rode 20 years without it and took the MSF with my wife and had a blast (and learned a few things).

I also suggest looking into proper protective riding gear. :thumb:

:welcome: aboard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Ive always had a rule that any transportation I owned had to have a solid messageboard behind it for support, I obviously have chosen well ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts