Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a first time for everything. First time you rode a bicycle, drove a car, went to a movie theatre, etc. Moments in our lives that seem to stand out. Well....how about the first time you SAW a Kawasaki Versys?
I was going into a supermarket...and outside the entrance, was a brand new 2010 Versys, parked near the front door. I thought to myself.."wow..that is really a cool design..the shock showing...headlamps"...just looked different and modern.
Hence....the quest...so much for wanting a KLR....the focus has changed!

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
Was looking at getting a KLR when i stopped by my favorite donut shop and saw the coolest looking motorcycle which just happened to be green and saying to myself what the heck is that. Saw one on the Kawi website and a week later had an 09 Plasma blue in the garage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
A few years back I happened upon this site by fluke...read a number of good reviews, probably saw some pics....came into some money, went to the Kawi dealer and liked what I saw...sat on it and it "fit"....not too small, or too big, but juuussstt right.:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Went to the dealer to sit on a Vstrom. Was positive I was going to buy a Wee when I went there. Right next to the Wee was a beautiful green V. Spent about 2 minutes sitting on the Wee. Spent about 20 sitting on the Versys. I had seen pics of the Versys on the web before, but once I sat on one, it was love at first sight. Met up with the family later that night and my son asked how the trip to the dealer was. My reply, "I sat on my next bike. It's green and it's a Kawasaki." A few months later, I made that statement a reality. The rest has been an ongoing love affair!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had already scheduled my MSF class, probably about 2 months out. Friend wanted me to look at BMW GS 650. BMW dealer said I would hate it, pushed me towards a used Yamaha FZ6.

I saw a Versys on the road sometime thereafter (for you Seattle folks, I was northbound on the Montlake bridge when it was stopped southbound). Thankfully I could read the model name. Started reading, looked at one at a local dealer, then went to a dealer a bit further away that I thought might take snowmobiles in trade (yes!). My 08 had been traded in the day before. I put the deposit on it before my MSF class, picked it up a week later with a trailer. I just crossed 2k miles of my own today. Love it (although I froze my arse off today).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I live in a city of 1.63 million, and except at the dealer I can only remember seeing like one Versys on the road. Now I own one.
Bye the way the KLR650 (which I still own an 08) and the Versys have a lot of overlap in their intended us. But the KLR will go places and do things that I would not ride a Versys and the Versys does things the KLR can't.

There is a first time for everything. First time you rode a bicycle, drove a car, went to a movie theatre, etc. Moments in our lives that seem to stand out. Well....how about the first time you SAW a Kawasaki Versys?
I was going into a supermarket...and outside the entrance, was a brand new 2010 Versys, parked near the front door. I thought to myself.."wow..that is really a cool design..the shock showing...headlamps"...just looked different and modern.
Hence....the quest...so much for wanting a KLR....the focus has changed!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Saw pics when it was released but hated it because I thought it was too ugly. But I really like the style of bike.

The first one I ever saw in person was the one I found on Craigslist and went and bought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was at the dealer admiring the Aprilia Shiver, then the salesman suggested that I might like the Versys since I am tall. It was positioned where I could only see the front end, I glanced at it and said "eehhh...it's kinda ugly."

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had never been interested in motorcycle up until a couple years ago. I went with a friend who wanted a bike and became interested in the sport quickly. I wanted to get a cruiser and really liked the V-Star Silverado. I decided to visit a local Kawasaki dealer and see what their cruisers looked like. While browsing the cruiser section, I happened to glace at a red versys in the corner of the showroom, near the klrs. I asked the dealer what it was and mentioned it was really ugly. I finished looking at the cruisers and headed home. By the time I got home, I had a deep desire to find out more about the versys. After browsing the net and looking at pictures, I suddenly really liked the bike. The next month, Motorcyclist named it bike of the year and I fell in love the bike. Year later I saved up enough and bought it.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Was window shopping when I saw a used red one on the web at a price that looked right. Went to the dealer to take a look. Low seat, vario windshield, hard side cases, only 1k miles at a price that looked right. I sat on it and I was sold on it. Later I learned I bought the motorcycle of the year. 8k miles later , best purchase I ever made.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I knew I wanted a Kawasaki. I just kind of feel like Kawasaki ought to know how to make a bike. Yamaha makes pianos, Honda makes lawn mowers, Suzuki makes crappy cars. Kawasaki? All power sports as far as I know.

I was dead set on a KLR.... Then I asked myself: Why do I even want another bike? Why not stick with the XT225? I was sick of the lack of power, sick of the vibrations, sick of the carburetor and having to 'warm up' my bike. Wait a minute... The KLR has all of those problems too!

I knew I didn't want a Cruiser or a Crotchrocket, despite the dealerships attempting to convince me otherwise, I wanted something 'different'.

When I saw the Versys, it was not love at first sight. I felt it was goofy looking, and plastic like. After I read the specs though.... Fuel injected, decent power, two cylinders (no more thump), and it was tall. I felt like this was a bike I could make into anything. Don't like the headlight? Get rid of it. Hate plastic? Rip it off. Wanna go offroad? Stick a 19" wheel on it! Pretty much anything you would want to do, you could do it, and there is even aftermarket support....

Right now, the weird headlight has grown out me, especially since someone pointed out that it looks like a skull. I can live with the odd looks for now. It's mine, it's paid for, and if I get sick of the way it looks, I'll change it. Right now I'm adding more cargo space for utility, and I like the fact that I don't have to fabricate my own stuff if I don't want to.

·
Registered
842 Posts
The first one I ever saw in person was the one I found on Craigslist and went and bought.
+1 I originally was looking for a wee-strom, but came across the V.

This site help convince me that it was the bike for me.

I am very happy with the choice

Up on stands next week - I am out of insurance on Monday.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My event memory is notoriously unreliable, so I can't pinpoint with any certainty a first time. It was either on the web when I was researching candidates to replace my Virago 250, or at the local Kawasaki/Suzuki shop while window shopping. I want to say it was at the dealer. The MOTY nod, plus the fact that it just felt right, plus FI, a healthy but not overwhelming dose of power, reasonably adjustable suspension, not to mention about $1500 in discounts made it easy to overlook the decidedly goofy face. Its relative rarity also appeals to my iconoclastic side. To this day I have seen but two other Versys in the wild.

·
Registered
295 Posts
saw it first time on a local mag in Feb/2010.

Found it horrible.!

a few months after, before and after buying found it one of the best looking mid size trailers, way way better looking than honda´s or suzuki´s similars! go and explain this...

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Came off a Suzuki C50. Thought the Versys was ugly and walked right by it at the dealer. Kept reading about how fun the V is so I reconsidered. After giving it serious consideration, the looks grew on me and I started evolving the opinion of "I want something different." Different is what I got. Some of my friends like it, some dont. All agree it looks fun. It is. I'm Happy! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts