Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola,
I have 16 500km on rear OEM Dunlop tire, and tire still have little life, enough till 18 000km service time.

Now this is 2018 model Versys 650.
And If i read correct on Dunlop tires they shoud be produced around 40 week in 2017
Now I wish to buy new tires rear and front so I have same tires.

I choose between Michelin Pilot Road 4 and Michelin Road 5

Michelin Pilot Road 4 set cost : 253$
Michelin Road 5 set cost : 290$

Now is it worht to pay almost 20% more for Road 5 instead Road 4?

I read really good review about both tires. But is wish to know what you think which one is better between this two option?
Or it doesn't matter because both tires are great and I won't make a mistake with the choice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hola,
I have 16 500km on rear OEM Dunlop tire, and tire still have little life, enough till 18 000km service time.

And If i read correct on Dunlop tires they shoud be produced around 40 week in 2017

I read really good review about both tires. But is wish to know what you think which one is better between this two option?
Or it doesn't matter because both tires are great and I won't make a mistake with the choice.
I read many different motorcycle forums and everyone seems to love the Road 5, however it is one of the most expensive tires made, is there any reason that you are only considering the Road 4 or 5?
Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Road Smart 3 and Bridgestone T31 tires are also great tires and less expensive.
Many years ago, I used Michelin tires but as often as I go through tires they are just too expensive.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Both tires are great. I had the PR 4 GT's on my FJR and now have the Road 5's on my Versys 1000. Which one you choose between the 2 you will be happy with...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews about the Road 5s. They seem to be well worth the cost. If I didn't go offroad on my Versys, they'd be my tire of choice. Planning to slap a pair on for winter riding. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read many different motorcycle forums and everyone seems to love the Road 5, however it is one of the most expensive tires made, is there any reason that you are only considering the Road 4 or 5?
Pirelli Angel GT, Dunlop Road Smart 3 and Bridgestone T31 tires are also great tires and less expensive.
Many years ago, I used Michelin tires but as often as I go through tires they are just too expensive.
I have friend who had Versys 650 1. generation, and now he have Versys 650 2. generation. And from all tires which he use he say Road 4 are best which they ever have. Many people on internet recomended Road 5. And I meet few guys on my trips which have Road 4 or Road 5 and they say nothing except all best words. They say me buy that and you will not regret. So that is reason for choosing between this 2 tires.
Also now I work from home since March so I don’t have the extra expenses which I had while traveling to work, so I wish to treat myself with best tires. Also that tires will hold 2 season (15 000km maximum, or more maybe)

Also tires which you mention are similar price to Road 5 except Pirelli. And probably few days after I buy tires, it will be discount on them. LOL

Bridgestone T31 - 290$
Dunlop Road Smart 3 - 283$
Pirelly are cheapest - Pirelli Angel GT - 215$

Should I change tire valve also ? So I have new tires and new tire valve.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Should I change tire valve also ? So I have new tires and new tire valve.
Personally, I have always installed right angle valve stems, MUCH easier access for checking the tire pressure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hola,

I replaced the OEM tires with Michelin Pilot Road 4's. When those wore out I replaced them with Michelin Road 5's. Both tires are amazing. When both sets were new my 2012 Versys 650 literally felt like it was on rails going through turns. Once in a turn the bike was completely neutral, meaning it took no effort to keep it in the turn. Likewise the effort to get it into a turn was almost nothing. To me the Road 5's were a touch better in that regard. The wet weather performance is very good with both. Both have good traction in the wet - inspires confidence when really needed (bike isn't loosing traction in the middle of a big down pour). The one thing I noticed with the Road 4's is when they wore they flattened on the crown where the Road 5's are staying more rounded. This observation may fall apart as the Road 5's wear more. For me, spending extra on tires is a no brainer if they provide a better and safer ride.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
How much are the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires in Croatia?

No need to replace tire valves yet on a 2018, but it wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How much are the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires in Croatia?

No need to replace tire valves yet on a 2018, but it wouldn't hurt.
Metzeler Roadtec 01 - if you pay with cash - 328 USD - 445 CAD
If you pay in installments (if is that right word) - 345 USD - 468 CAD

Tires are expensive when comparing wages. But what I can if I wish to ride I need tires.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had the Pilot Road 4, and now have the Road 5. If you can get the PR4 for $50 less, go for it. I don't notice much difference in the handling and grip between the two, but the Road 5's seem to be noisier with road noise. You really can't go wrong with either one, they are amazing tires.

·
Premium Member
9,119 Posts
I had the RD3 on my 2007 , they stopped making them, I now have the PR 5 on my 2015, let me say, you are in for a shock compared to the OEM dunlops, as you should know , 90% of your braking is the front, with the Dunlops I could fire the rear ABS even at 50KM/HR with light rear braking. When I installed the PR-5 at less than 11,000 KM on the Dunlops, I had to almost stand on the rear bake at 80 KM/HR , a huge difference in grip. Give yourself at least 200 KM of careful riding on the PR tires, apparently the Metzlers are almost equal according to some members. I am running 38 front and 42 rear, have a TPM and the pressure goes up while riding not quite 10% on both. I am told that is what to look for.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had the Pilot Road 4, and now have the Road 5. If you can get the PR4 for $50 less, go for it. I don't notice much difference in the handling and grip between the two, but the Road 5's seem to be noisier with road noise. You really can't go wrong with either one, they are amazing tires.
Better spend that 50$ on 2 tank of fuel.
And how Onewizard say, be carefully first 200km , from service to home I have 220km of highway, enoug to scrub middle of tires, and than at home I have few roads with low traffic where I can scrub side parts of tires in curves.

Now I just need to wait service time and ordering tires :cool: Thank you all.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
... from service to home I have 220km of highway, enoug to scrub middle of tires, and than at home I have few roads with low traffic where I can scrub side parts of tires in curves....
I've "scrubbed-in" new tires by just riding in a sandy area for awhile.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hola,

WHen I have to buy new I will be going to the Continental Road Attack 3. I had them on my 17 Z900 and they were awesome. totally changed th feel of the bike and gripped great in dry and performed phenomenal in torrential down pour! they were tested by 2 euro mags against all others in that category and came out on top. the Pilot 5 was not out yet though. Personally I like the idea of the same compound verse 2 different as many have said they feel the transition. the Conti RA3 uses diffrent curing temps to harden the center and keep edges softer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my Road 5s. Feel way more confident than the factory dunlops did. The other tires I considered were PR2s and Angel GTs. Glad I have the Road 5s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road 4 works well on both wet and dry roads. The only disadvantage that I have noticed with these tires is that edges seem to wear quicker than the middle section. I will purchase it again due to the excellent grip level that it provides added the fact they durable enough.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the RD3 on my 2007 , they stopped making them, I now have the PR 5 on my 2015, let me say, you are in for a shock compared to the OEM dunlops, as you should know , 90% of your braking is the front, with the Dunlops I could fire the rear ABS even at 50KM/HR with light rear braking. When I installed the PR-5 at less than 11,000 KM on the Dunlops, I had to almost stand on the rear bake at 80 KM/HR , a huge difference in grip. Give yourself at least 200 KM of careful riding on the PR tires, apparently the Metzlers are almost equal according to some members. I am running 38 front and 42 rear, have a TPM and the pressure goes up while riding not quite 10% on both. I am told that is what to look for.
I replace OEM Dunlop for PR4 yesterday.
This tires are beasts.
After 200km of riding I got in hard rain, and I try to test brake with new tires. I press brake about medium strength and ABS didn't activate, I need to press hard brake to activate ABS in rain. But on dry surface I need to pres much more harder brake to activate ABS, and when ABS in ON rear tire squeak how good grip is.
I am amazed at how well the tires hold the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts