Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't pick up my bike until tomorrow but wondered if the first service is due at 600 miles like most seem to be. Also, what's involved other than just an oil and filter change? Last, what's the average cost for the first service at the dealer? Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't pick up my bike until tomorrow but wondered if the first service is due at 600 miles like most seem to be. Also, what's involved other than just an oil and filter change? Last, what's the average cost for the first service at the dealer? Thanks.
Download the service manual. If I remember correctly, oil and oil filter change and a few inspections of various areas of the bike. My dealer wanted upwards of $100 to $200! Ha! So, I did it myself... a few bucks for the oil and filter, oil filter wrench, a little elbow grease! It took approx. 30-40 minutes. Done!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No reason to not change oil yourself, but document it with photos (including photo of mileage indicator) and keep records and the receipts for oil and filter. That will cover you for warranty.

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I changed oil at 300 and 600. Both had shaving in the oil and Kawi told me to use regular oil through breakin. Than use syn if wanted. Syn is best IMO. :thumb:

Very simple to do yourself. Take time to do a safety check as I found my brake lights unpluged! :eek:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can't really argue with those who choose to use synthetic however I find that personally I change my oil and filter at about half the the recommended mileage. Therefore, I'm keeping good fresh oil in the motor so no need for the added expense of synthetic. But that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
19,772 Posts
Can't really argue with those who choose to use synthetic however I find that personally I change my oil and filter at about half the the recommended mileage. Therefore, I'm keeping good fresh oil in the motor so no need for the added expense of synthetic. But that's just me.
Something you may have overlooked - synthetic oil has a MUCH HIGHER "film strength" than ordinary oil does, and that factor MAY save your engine if something goes 'south' on you.

:goodluck:

DEFINITELY worth the extra $$$ for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts