Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy Mark and I did 130 miles on Saturday and of course I was on my new Aprilia service and emotional support bike.:wink2:

I certainly loved my V-650 and will miss it's cool character and great gas mileage and range. But I must say the new Dorso is a fantastic machine. I feel like I have gone from a Ford to a Ferrari...hey that would make for a cool movie!

The first thing I noticed is how well the bone stock suspension works. It's very planted and plush, something my old, tired, decrepit, broken down back is really enjoying. Bumps in the road that would have me cringing on the Versys, the Dorso just kinda floats over.

Handling is super precise with zero frame flex.

While not an explosive powerhouse the motor is sheer delight. Lots of torque in the lower revs. Max torque is around 4500 RPM. And the stock exhaust note is nothing short of a mechanical symphony. Go figure.

The engineering, fit and finish is first class. The quality is very apparent to see and feel. Must be an Italian passion kind of thing.

The only downside is the small gas tank. 3.17 gallons. This results in about a 100 mile range. I got to experience this on the ride as the low fuel light came on at 110 miles. Reserve fuel is .6 gallons. I got 44 mpg on the ride so you better be pulling into the station within 20 miles.

Not to mention the bike does not have a fuel gauge... really? Yep. In fact I kept looking at the water temp gauge, it's a vertical bars type, thinking it was the fuel gauge! I was a bit surprised when the low fuel light came on with 3 bars showing...Lol.

This bike is not designed for long distance riding. It's a holligan/super moto kind of machine designed to terrorize your local county roads close to home, which is 95% of the riding I do.

Then there is the cost of insurance which came as a total surprise. The Versys was $178 a year for full coverage. The Dorso is only $113 a year for the exact same coverage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Great isn't it? It's Italian and that means it's passionate, now and then a bit fussy, but always sexy. I loved my Moto Guzzi V50 III every moment I owned it, just as I love my Abarth now. It may not be sensible or logical but it will always be memorable. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Very noticeable difference in tire diameters. I thought the rake looked a little docile on paper, but with that smaller diameter up front I'll gather she is quite precise if not a little twitchy?

How's the seat comfort? Most super motards out there have the skinny MX seats which are no go for me. That one looks a little wider.

They are definitely squeezing the horsepower out of the twin.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Very noticeable difference in tire diameters. I thought the rake looked a little docile on paper, but with that smaller diameter up front I'll gather she is quite precise if not a little twitchy?

How's the seat comfort? Most super motards out there have the skinny MX seats which are no go for me. That one looks a little wider.

They are definitely squeezing the horsepower out of the twin.
Not twitchy at all. The Versys felt a bit nervous beginning round 95.

The stock seat could benefit from a little work and yes the front of the seat is narrow but not too noticeable when riding. It widens out where your arse spends most of it's time.

When I get some time I will pull back the seat cover and grind out some foam where my rear sits. Did the same thing on my Versys. Made a world of difference.

The stock Versys seat made me feel like I was sitting on top of the bike (same with the Dorso). After carving out a "tractor seat" dished area I really felt like part of the bike. This also helps distribute the load over a larger area rather than just your tail bone and bunn area. After the mod I could go for hours before butt burn set in.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tim - good to see your pic in leathers!!!
All the guys I ride with wear fabric riding pants.

Believe it or not my leather pants are from Harbor Freight...I mean Cycle Gear. My wife calls them the Harbor Freight of motorcycle stuff.:surprise:

Just the $120 Built pants but I love them. Decent ventilation and fit really good.

My jacket is a higher end fabric with 3 liners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts