Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time for my first oil change on my 2018 650. How many of you do your own oil changes? I feel like it's not too hard to do and there aren't many dealerships near me that do oil changes that also work with my schedule. Because of those reasons, I'm thinking of doing it myself. Any tips from the professionals on here? I've looked at some videos with mixed thoughts so I was hoping for some good advice. Gotta take care of Chewbika!

Reactions: Smiley

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's about time for my first oil change on my 2018 650. How many of you do your own oil changes? I feel like it's not too hard to do and there aren't many dealerships near me that do oil changes that also work with my schedule. Because of those reasons, I'm thinking of doing it myself. Any tips from the professionals on here? I've looked at some videos with mixed thoughts so I was hoping for some good advice. Gotta take care of Chewbika!
I can't provide any useful information here, other than I will use a video to help walk me through my first DIY oil change. What I really wanted to do is give you HUGE props for your bike's name. That's? Awesome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
How handy are you with tools? If you are the least bit accustomed to working with tools, changing the oil is a very easy job. (I know people who don't know which end of a screwdriver to use)

Put very simply:

1) take off the two plastic covers that surround the oil filter
2) Remove the drain plug and let the oil drain into a pan
3) Remove the filter, install the new one. (tighten only by hand...don't use a wrench)
4) Put new oil in, using the oil window on the side of the bike
5) put the two plastic covers back on.

Most motorcycle oil changes are the same. Get on youtube and watch a few. Here's one I found for the Versys 650

·
Registered
196 Posts
What is your experience level with wrenching?

Its very easy with the proper tools, space, and info. Some cheap Walmart towels and aluminum foil (on exhaust pipes) will help contain the mess. I also use a $0.98 measuring cup to measure oil going back into the bike. If you plan to keep changing the oil yourself, consider a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug, it will make future changes extra easy and less messy.

Only thing you could really get wrong is over-torquing the drain plug. Go for it! Its a great way to control your ownership costs and get to know the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the video. I didn't find that one. I'm pretty handy with tools so I'm not scared. Just never did an oil change on a motorcycle before. Good tip about the foil on the exhaust. I think my biggest concern is over servicing with oil because I don't have one of those lifts to take the rear wheel off the floor. Did that make a difference for any of you? Also, did any of you prime the filter first or just put the oil straight to the tank?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Put in a little less oil than you think you will need. Then check the level in the oil window. Then keep adding small amounts (checking after each addition) to bring the oil to the correct level.

You don't need a center stand. My drain plug is on the left side of the bike. Opposite of what's in the video. When the bike is on the side stand, it naturally drains well. I didn't have to wiggle the bike back and forth like in the video. I didn't prime my filter.

·
Super Moderator
19,393 Posts
...3) Remove the filter, install the new one. (tighten only by hand...don't use a wrench)....
I use filters that have written on them: Put oil onto the rubber gasket, then tighten till it contacts the engine, then an additional ONE turn to tighten.

I use a filter wrench for that additional turn.

...Did that make a difference for any of you? Also, did any of you prime the filter first or just put the oil straight to the tank?
I've drained oil on the side-stand, AND on a pit-stand, and I ALWAYS pre-fill the filter to about half-full.

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
19,393 Posts
...I've drained oil on the side-stand, AND on a pit-stand, and I ALWAYS pre-fill the filter to about half-full.

:goodluck:
BTW - I ALWAYS anneal the copper washer before replacing the drain-bolt, properly torqued!

:thumb: - :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts