Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After an all day ride yesterday, I did the oil change today. The oil was surprisingly dirty. It also appeared to have been overfilled, although I coudn't tell by how much. I had no trouble removing or replacing the little plastic piece. I had no trouble getting the oil filter off with one of my clamping oil filter removal tools that always bends the filter. I also had no trouble removing the drain plug.

Everyone is right that the speced refill amount in the manual is too little oil. Here is a picture of the third quart bottle after adding just enough oil to put it in the full range. it wouldn't hurt to add a little more, but I want make sure I was able to see it in the sight glass.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

I topped off the coolant. It is imnpossible to see the level in the resovoir, so I just added until it poured over. I suppose I'll be smelling goolant for a few miles.

I tried to install a Flamm horn I had sitting in the garage. It bolted up easy enough, but I don't think the bike is set up for it. It made one beep, and I couldn't get another sound out of it. I reversed the wires; nothing. I thought for sure I blew a fuse, but when I installed the original one it worked. It's a mystery to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
There are three different figures in the 2016 manual for the amount of oil needed. One is a bone dry engine, one is change without filter change, and third is change with filter change. I obviously change the filter every time, and I put in 2 quarts and it ends up right in the center of the two lines on the site glass.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You must have a 650, because there was no 2016 Versys 300. The 300 uses more oil, presumably because it's revved higher.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry, I didn't realized this was in the 300 thread. Yeah don't listen to me as I obviously wasn't paying attention. LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts