Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first oil change on my bike two days ago. When I unplugged the drain plug, there was no gasket. I just screwed the plug back in tight without the gasket. After riding a couple hundred miles the last couple days, I noticed the plug is leaking. Bike never leaked in the 1 1/2 years I've had her.

Questions: 1) Should I torque the plug even tighter or just put a gasket on? 2) Can you get a gasket at a general auto supply or hardware store or do you need to go to the Kawi shop?

·
Registered
29 Posts
There is an aluminum oil drain bolt 'gasket'. Kawasaki recommends replacing it at every oil change. Kawasaki part # 92065-097 ($0.34 MSRP). 12 mm hole, 22 mm outer diameter, 2 mm thickpart #2414

I wouldn't torque it more than spec. Tighter is not better unless it's with a lady.:nono:

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is an aluminum oil drain bolt 'gasket'. Kawasaki recommends replacing it at every oil change. Kawasaki part # 92065-097 ($0.34 MSRP). 12 mm hole, 22 mm outer diameter, 2 mm thick
+1 I've always found replacing them is a waste. However, you still need one. I would just drain it again in a clean container, replace the washer, then refill with the same oil. I think it's less than 2 bucks at your local Kawi dealer.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
DO NOT overtighten without an aluminum gasket (washer) which is also there to protect your aluminum oil pan threads. You can do it without draining much of the oil while engine is cold, if you're good and ready and real quick.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
DO NOT overtighten without an aluminum gasket (washer) which is also there to protect your aluminum oil pan threads.. You can do it without draining much of the oil while engine is cold, if you're good and ready and real quick.
loosen the plug with a wrench
back the plug out the rest of the way while applying pressure up
when the plug is all the way out drop it & put your finger on the hole
now your assistant can put the gasket on the bolt then reverse the process
apply cat litter to the floor

as a side note...I can SEE the gasket in place between the plug & oil pan so look before you leap

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
Sounds like you dropped the washer/gasket into the oil collection pan when you were hit by the full force of hot oil gushing out... it happens to everyone.
Find it... Clean it... reuse it :)

Or just buy another one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Y'all always come through. Thanks again. I think i'll just get a new one and see how quick I am. I probably should video it, cause it will probably be a "what not to do" video.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and I should say I've got a 2009 I bought March 2013 and the guy I bought it from had just changed the oil. Don't know if that makes a difference, but just to clarify, this wasn't my first oil change on a new Versys.

·
Super Moderator
19,441 Posts
...2) Can you get a gasket at a general auto supply or hardware store or do you need to go to the Kawi shop?
Go to O'Reillys and buy a pack of 1/2" copper washers/ gaskets - about 3 or 4 per pack.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update - been out of town 1 1/2 weeks, so I just had a chance to put on the gasket.

twowheeladdict and fasteddie - used your advice and it worked great. Got copper gaskets from O'Relllys and laid the bike on it's side (with a couple towels and old pillows). Was able to replace the gasket easily with no leakage, and all is well now. Thanks so much for the advice. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts