Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site, and impressed with the browsing I've done. I have a 2008 650 Versys that I bought 4 months ago with only 6000 mi on it. It is beautiful red, like my 2008 Vespa 250, and has been a fun addition to the quiver. It had been well serviced when I bought it, and looked showroom perfect, and I've added the usual panniers and gear with the idea of making it a touring machine. Center stand, taller windshield, driving lights, fender extender, and tank bag have been added along with an old top bag and panniers that I sewed from heavy vinyl after studying some products from Mosko and Grand Circle. After 3500 miles, I'm tinkering with the chain (too loose) and readying myself for a first oil change. I'm interested in what oil type other Versys owners use. I know 10-40 is recommended, but I'm used to using very specific synthetic oil in the Vespa (34000 miles so far), and want to make the right choice, though I know the former owner used traditional non-synthetic oil. Also, and particular filter recommendations?
I'm oldish and a conservative rider, but I like to know that I'm treating this impressive machine properly so that it returns the favor. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
Welcome!

Oil can be a very hot topic discussion. Most would steer toward Motul, Mobil1, or maybe Amsoil for premium synthetic oils. I have Amsoil 10w40 metric motorcycle oil ready to go in my Versys 300.
Have fun 馃憤馃徎

Reactions: Fly-Sig

Registered
Welcome from Croatia

Regarding the oil, you will get a lot of advice on what to use here on forum.
My service man (authorized kawasaki service ) use Motorex 15W50 - semi synthetic.

Registered
One of the more controversial topics!

You can't go wrong with any of the top brand fully synthetic oils with JASO rating. People find other stuff out there that works for them, but I found the Mobil 1 10W-40 Racing oil worked great as soon as I tried it, and I haven't bothered to experiment with anything else. I tried one or two other brands first, but liked the way the transmission shifted more smoothly and that was that.

As you might already know, the wet clutch needs the right kind of oil. Again, you might find something not JASO motorcycle approved but imho there's no reason to waste effort experimenting.

As for filters, that's a good question. It seems some makers are cheapening their products. I've run K&N with no problems but am seeing there may be better options. Wix is a brand I use in my wife's fancy Euro sport convertible and it may be my new go-to for the Kawi.

The biggest thing is to change oil frequently. About every 4000 miles seems to be right. More than that and people report oil analysis shows the oil starting to break down. If you use a good oil and filter (not simply the cheapest stuff you can find) and change it frequently your bike will last a long time. Brand doesn't matter as much as we like to argue about!

Super Moderator
During my total of OVER 196,500 miles among three V650s - '08, '09 and '15 - I've changed over to Mobil1 15w-50 synthetic [car] oil BY 1,000 miles, then changed oil & filter each 5,000 miles, w/ NO problems. I also get VG fuel mileage (in the 50 to 65 mpgUS range).

WELCOME aboard!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
During my total of OVER 196,500 miles among three V650s - '08, '09 and '15 - I've changed over to Mobil1 15w-50 synthetic [car] oil BY 1,000 miles, then changed oil & filter each 5,000 miles, w/ NO problems. I also get VG fuel mileage (in the 50 to 65 mpgUS range).

WELCOME aboard!
Thanks for responding! I'm leaning in this direction after reading a number of M1 success stories. I'm unsure what your comment "BY 1000 miles" means, but I'm thinking that I should change to the synthetic and then change again fairly soon (1000 mi?) to rid my system of all the non-synthetic oil before adopting the 4-5,000 mi interval. Going oil shopping today and looking for a selection of filters to choose from too. I also have to select the proper adult beverage to keep me hydrated and ward off scurvy while I"m working......

Super Moderator
... I'm unsure what your comment "BY 1000 miles" means....
"BY 1000 miles" means that I changed over to M1 15w-50 BY the end of the FIRST 1,000 miles on the bike, altho' NOW I change-over earlier than that.

There used to be opinions that you should not use synthetic oil till past 1,000, but now that's not considered correct - as the engine basically gets 'broken-in' at the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts