Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just bought my first motorcycle (2018 Versys-x 300) on 2019 May 7. Completed my motorcycle course to advance my license to M2 on the following weekend. This allowed me to insure/register/license my motorcycle on 2019 May 13. So, I've been just riding mostly in town (Deep River, Ontario) to get used to moving, shifting, turning off my turn signal, etc. I did a few short stints on the highway, getting up to 110 km/hr. But, the bike is still in the break-in phase. The odometer reads about 350 km, 650 km to go!

On a side note - is it normal for a motorcycle to pass on the right tire track of my lane (I was in the left tire track, keeping up with traffic in an 80 km/hr zone)? I don't know if it makes a difference, but he was riding a Harley and it seems like he wanted to catch up with the Harley that was two cars in front.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Welcome From South Central Ontario

:welcome:https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/205361-valuable-links-wizard-member-intro.html please read

Are you saying you where in the curb lane or in what would be called the passing lane with a multi-lane highway in Ontario? If it is a single lane, and passing on the right is downright dangerous. On a multi-lane it is perfectly legal to pass on the right.

After reading again, sounds like a single lane and you are closer to the center line, dude passed between you and the shoulder, this is where it is important to be observant both in front and behind, it would have been easier for you to move right, even signal right and motion for Harley to pass on left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it was single lane road (80 km/hr). I was closer to the center line. I didn't even realize he wanted to pass (he wasn't tailgating me or anything). Is there a signal that I should be looking for when a motorcyclist wants to pass me so that I can be courteous by moving to the right half of the lane and signal to let him/her pass me on the left side of the lane?

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Welcome aboard. Is lane sharing legal where you ride? It is illegal in all the states I ride in and doing that is a dangerous maneuver if the person you are passing doesn't know you are about to do that. You could have easily moved to the right side of the lane while he was attempting that pass because you would never expect some idiot to be doing that.

Doesn't matter that he was on a Harley or a Ducati or a Hondasuzukawasakama. There are jerk riders on all brands of motorcycles and courteous riders on all brands of motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

...On a side note - is it normal for a motorcycle to pass on the right tire track of my lane (I was in the left tire track, keeping up with traffic in an 80 km/hr zone)? I don't know if it makes a difference, but he was riding a Harley and it seems like he wanted to catch up with the Harley that was two cars in front.
That guy was/IS an "asshat" and a jerk - that pass was VERY dangerous!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello from Vancouver Island! Stick to your motorcycle training - sounds like you got off to a sound start. Are you likely to be a weekend rider or daily commuter or both? And what colour did you choose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I commuted to work 3 times last week. I have been getting out every evening for 30 min to 60 min to practice starting/shifting/stopping in town. I got the red Kawasaki Versys-X 300.

Hello from Vancouver Island! Stick to your motorcycle training - sounds like you got off to a sound start. Are you likely to be a weekend rider or daily commuter or both? And what colour did you choose?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome.

No that was not a "normal" pass. If lane splitting/filtering is not legal where you live, motorcycles aren't legally allowed to pass each other in the same lane. However, it is common courtesy to wave a faster rider by, but if you choose to do that (your choice), get over to the right side of the lane and they pass on the left.

Where lane splitting is legal, you only pass moving vehicles on the left side of the lane, on multi lane highways typically the space between the left lane and the HOV lane is the unofficial "motorcycle lane", you will mainly see this in California. Filtering around stopped traffic by riding on the shoulder is a bit of a gray area in place where splitting is legal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
no. only legal in California as far as I know

welcome. don't do what he did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts