Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my ride 2 days ago from the dealer and got it home between rain showers, so yesterday was the first time I got to go for any kind of extended ride. Did about 75 miles. First leg was on an "expressway" and it was hard to keep it on the 65mph speed limit. :) Cut across a state park road with some twisties and it did well for me, considering I am used to a Vulcan 1500 Classic. I figure I will need 5 or 6 more rides before I start to feel more confident on this ride.

First things I think I need to do - mirror extenders and different windscreen (I'm considering the Puig Touring Windscreen from Revzilla). I ordered some 12V sockets to install, and need to find a source for the required relay. I want to add some type of side bags or saddlebags but I am still looking at those. I will probably settle on soft bags, not really interested in the OEM bags, at least for the time being.

So, first ride was nice. Plenty of power, quick, nimble and fairly comfortable (not counting the wind buffeting.) Looks nice as well. One slight issue I am having is that at 72 I'm not as limber as I used to be so it is fun getting on and off the bike. Once I in the saddle all is good. I need to start doing some stretches, heh heh.

Now, it is about 0640 and I plan to gear up in an hour or so and take another spin.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the Versys. Take it easy for a few rides till the bike comes to you. Be safe.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm somewhat height challenged, and find swinging my leg over a V to be difficult from the ground, so I stand on the left footpeg as I mount.

If this is the same for you, check ebay for inexpensive footpeg replacement rubber. I think my last one was $3.99 shipped.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Even though I am 5'9", I still prefer House Mounting as its easy on the limbs and you get a chance to pull your riding pants in position.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure the kickstand really cares, but I don't like putting all my weight on it. I mount from the right side like the CHP.

Here's a video of the technique I often use when feeling less than limber:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
Picked up my ride 2 days ago from the dealer and got it home between rain showers, so yesterday was the first time I got to go for any kind of extended ride. Did about 75 miles. First leg was on an "expressway" and it was hard to keep it on the 65mph speed limit. :) Cut across a state park road with some twisties and it did well for me, considering I am used to a Vulcan 1500 Classic. I figure I will need 5 or 6 more rides before I start to feel more confident on this ride.

First things I think I need to do - mirror extenders and different windscreen (I'm considering the Puig Touring Windscreen from Revzilla). I ordered some 12V sockets to install, and need to find a source for the required relay. I want to add some type of side bags or saddlebags but I am still looking at those. I will probably settle on soft bags, not really interested in the OEM bags, at least for the time being.

So, first ride was nice. Plenty of power, quick, nimble and fairly comfortable (not counting the wind buffeting.) Looks nice as well. One slight issue I am having is that at 72 I'm not as limber as I used to be so it is fun getting on and off the bike. Once I in the saddle all is good. I need to start doing some stretches, heh heh.

Now, it is about 0640 and I plan to gear up in an hour or so and take another spin.

Welcome and howdy from Floriduh.

PM sent regarding available Puig and Givi windshields.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not sure the kickstand really cares, but I don't like putting all my weight on it. I mount from the right side like the CHP.

https://youtu.be/jeEwmQi62do

I'm 5'11" with a 29" inseam. There's absolutely no way I could mount from the right.

Also, I weight north of 300 lbs. The kickstand doesn't care.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips guys. I see I'm not alone in this. I actually used the foot on the peg this morning and mounted from the kickstand side - no problem. I might try the right side mount as well now that I have seen the video.

·
Registered
62 Posts

https://youtu.be/jeEwmQi62do

I can see that this technique works. But is doesn't take weight off the kick stand. Not that I can see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts