Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a 2008 Versys 650. I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam.
When I bought the bike it had the Givi D405ST windshield mounted in the top position. I tried moving it around on the mounts and found it to be noisy and too narrow at the top. I put on an aftermarket wind deflector on the top of the screen with the screen mounted in the lower position. That helped a lot and did cut down on the air hitting the helmet. I still got a lot of wind on my outer shoulder areas. In the top potion with the screen alone I would get buffeting, and it was better in the middle position, with no wind deflector as I got no buffeting, but this screen does need some kind of wind deflector. Screen is rideable, but I figured I could do better. I don't have a picture but you can query the model #.

I bought a new MRA Vario touring screen and installed it on the bike yesterday. I mounted it in the top position on the bike, and tried a couple of different positions for the adjustable laminar lip portion. I left it in the most forward position and took it for a short ride. This screen is quieter to ride behind and I get less wind on my shoulder area. This screen is shorter than the Givi, but it is wider at the top. Any wind that I get is at the top portion of my helmet and I got no buffeting. You get some wind behind this screen, likely because I have it in the top position, but it is of less velocity than the Givi screen. My Vstrom 650 came with Suzuki's version of this screen and I always found it to be fairly good, not perfect but good enough for me. My first impressions of this MRA screen is that it is going to work fine. I'm out for a much longer ride today and will know more, which I'll post.
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting White Automotive tire

I've owned a lot of bikes in my day and spent untold dollars on windshields and seats. What works for one, doesn't always work for another, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
IF it doesn't end up satisfying you - try to get a Yamaha Majesty scooter windshield that you then modify. They work PDG for me, once it gets 'cooler' out. Pic 1 shows it, c/w the portions I removed for fitment

DSC03642 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

and Pic 2 as installed on my '08.

DSC09010 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the picture, looks good.
Well was out for a long ride today in fairly windy conditions, wind was running about 25 mph in places and got to experience it from all directions as I rode. I live about an hours drive east of the rockies, so it is a windy area of the world and we commonly ride in 20-40 mph winds..
As to the screen. Overall it performed pretty good. A solid piece that barely moves in truck washes. I get better upper body protection with less wind on my shoulders. Wind just catches the top of the helmet. No buffetting. Screen is fairly quiet and I can crack my face shield open to the first notch going down the highway, in most situations. It isn't affected by strong side winds and still provides some protection to the upper body & head.The screen is narrow enough in the right places that the bark busters I have on the bike don't hit the screen. A plus over the Givi. The MRA design is a good one and if I was rating the screen, I would give it an 8 out 10. I will play around with the deflector and maybe the mounting height of the screen to see if there is a sweet spot. Would I buy it again. Yes

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i like MRA. they make good quality screens and the spoiler is great. I personally replaced it with Madstad screen, but transferred the spoiler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts