Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been reading about a few incidents of riders getting rear ended here on the forum lately. Then, this past Saturday it happened to me! I was at a stop sign, clutch and brake pulled in. Looked right, watched a biker roll by, looked left, watched two cars drive by, looked back to the right...all clear, turn my head back to the left (in the direction I was wanting to go), all clear, and before I could let the levers out....BANG!! :eek:

Because I still had the front brake on my rear tire rolled up on the car's front bumper and grill, then back down. It took me several seconds to realize what had happened, then I noticed parts flying past my right foot peg. I glanced down under my left arm and noticed the car. Then the pain set in! The impact pushed me hard into the tank. I now know why the magnetic tail of my Rapid-Transit tank bag is padded!!

The state trooper came and the EMS took me away to the ER. My bike was towed, which I went by yesterday to examine. The tail and both turn signals will have to be replaced. Concerned about the wheel and maybe the swingarm. It will go to my local dealer soon as the insurance company gets it there.

I know it could have been much worse. I was thinking about the outcome if I didn't have the front brake on. I was also wondering if anyone makes underwear with front protection !!?? :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
That sucks! I try and watch the review mirrors as much as possible however it's impossible to monitor all directions of trouble all the time. It sound like you were not hurt too bad, which is the main thing....I hope the person that hit you wasn't texting.

Where were you? I ride a lot up in the western Carolina mountains.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Glad you're ok for the most part and it wasn't worse! :yeahsmile:

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
Wow thats scary getting hit from behind. Glad you came out in pretty good shape.. When i got hit but a car. The insurance paid me $800.00 for the swing arm and it only had a scratch on it.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Last time I researched it, rear end accidents were the second most common car vs motorcycle accidents. No doubt distracted driving plays the biggest part in these types of accidents followed closely by......Well, following closely.
Hope everything works out, hope the other driver pays out the ass and realizes he needs to pull his head.....Well, out of his ass.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't sign anything with the insurance company of the car that hit you. Even if you don't hire a lawyer you should settle the bike and the injury separately. Hold off on settling the injury for as long as you can.
+1

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Sorry it happened to you. But glad you seem to be OK. Bikes you buy skin ya grow.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Eesh, sorry to hear, man. Makes me reconsider getting the blinky brake light farkle. The headlight blinky farkle never really appealed to me, but the brake light one seems to make a lot of sense. Glad to hear you're OK.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Glad things were not worse! :eek:

As you know my neighbor was recently killed hit from behind. Shortly after that Weljo helped me go Hi-Vis. I think it really helps! :thumb:

In traffic I watch when I stop the car coming up on me. I flick my brakes and try and leave enough room so if he doesn't stop I go to the side of the car in front of me. Not wanting to be a sandwich! :exactly:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In traffic I watch when I stop the car coming up on me. I flick my brakes and try and leave enough room so if he doesn't stop I go to the side of the car in front of me. Not wanting to be a sandwich! :exactly:
To add to this, you are most vulnerable while at a complete stop because it's difficult to get moving if you need to, try to slow down and roll as long as possible before completely stopping.
If I see that I'm going to have to stop ahead I'll start slowing down maybe 2 yards early. This does two things, it means I'm sitting still for less time and it means if there is traffic coming behind me they are forced to slow down early as well so they aren't going as fast if they do decide to hit me.
Of course in the OPs accident there's not much you can do while sitting still at a stop sign, very vulnerable place to be.

I actually had a situation a few weeks ago where I had to ride up beside the car in front of me to keep from being sandwiched.
Two lane country road, the car two vehicles in front of me decided to make a quick left into a driveway, everyone behind him slammed on their brakes and stopped, I looked back in my mirror to see the driver behind me looking around enjoying the scenery and not stopping so I steered for the soft shoulder, there was just enough asphalt for me to fit right beside the car in front of me. The car behind me (brakes locked, smoking and squeeling) got stop about a foot before slamming into the car that was infront of me. I wouldv'e been a Versys sandwich if not watching my mirror and maintaining a way out. I've heard people (on a different forum) say you can't think and react fast enough to avoid rear end accidents....Well yes you can if you've already planned where you're going. A few years ago I avoided a rear end accident in my car while sitting at a light I floored it and moved to avoid a car coming up from behind with the driver texting and not stopping. Watch your mirrors, it does work

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hope you are riding again real soon. I remember meeting you and your brother in Labrador a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you for that!

To add to this, you are most vulnerable while at a complete stop because it's difficult to get moving if you need to, try to slow down and roll as long as possible before completely stopping.
If I see that I'm going to have to stop ahead I'll start slowing down maybe 2 yards early. This does two things, it means I'm sitting still for less time and it means if there is traffic coming behind me they are forced to slow down early as well so they aren't going as fast if they do decide to hit me.
Of course in the OPs accident there's not much you can do while sitting still at a stop sign, very vulnerable place to be.

I actually had a situation a few weeks ago where I had to ride up beside the car in front of me to keep from being sandwiched.
Two lane country road, the car two vehicles in front of me decided to make a quick left into a driveway, everyone behind him slammed on their brakes and stopped, I looked back in my mirror to see the driver behind me looking around enjoying the scenery and not stopping so I steered for the soft shoulder, there was just enough asphalt for me to fit right beside the car in front of me. The car behind me (brakes locked, smoking and squeeling) got stop about a foot before slamming into the car that was infront of me. I wouldv'e been a Versys sandwich if not watching my mirror and maintaining a way out. I've heard people (on a different forum) say you can't think and react fast enough to avoid rear end accidents....Well yes you can if you've already planned where you're going. A few years ago I avoided a rear end accident in my car while sitting at a light I floored it and moved to avoid a car coming up from behind with the driver texting and not stopping. Watch your mirrors, it does work
Thanks for posting this! I think you have very smart tactics here and obviously you have used them successfully in the past. I use the many of the same plus I wear hi-viz and have a very annoying flashing Whelen addition to my stock brake light. I've never had a close call yet while sitting at a light or stop sign. (knock on wood). In order to survive, there are a lot of things we can do for ourselves to lower our risk.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought my V used and was very pleased to find that it already had a "Back Off" flashing brakelight system. Whenever I stop I check behind me and make sure I have the brake pulled if a car is approaching from behind. I also try to have an escape route planned. Knock wood.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you were completely stopped for that long I don't think any safety measure would have helped. The driver of the other car was obviously seriously distracted or impaired in some other way. They need to start treating drivers who have severe distraction issues like this, like DUI drivers and get them off the road with a license suspension. It might help curb cell phone use while driving.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If a police vehicle is present in the traffic it has a very calming effect on the traffic, people suddenly become aware, stop breaking/bending rules and helps each other in traffic situations. Strange that fear of getting a ticket or loosing the license is stronger than fear of causing a traffic accident with potential deadly outcome. Looking out for bikes, scooters, etc should be addressed a lot more in traffic schools and people texting while driving should be punished the same as drunk driving. Maybe the high visible gear could be made so it is difficult to distinguish from a mc cop, requiring a second look from the nearby drivers to conclude it is not and then they have at least seen the bike?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If a police vehicle is present in the traffic it has a very calming effect on the traffic, people suddenly become aware, stop breaking/bending rules and helps each other in traffic situations. Strange that fear of getting a ticket or loosing the license is stronger than fear of causing a traffic accident with potential deadly outcome. Looking out for bikes, scooters, etc should be addressed a lot more in traffic schools and people texting while driving should be punished the same as drunk driving. Maybe the high visible gear could be made so it is difficult to distinguish from a mc cop, requiring a second look from the nearby drivers to conclude it is not and then they have at least seen the bike?
Not to sure about that. The best you can do and try and keep "Eyes in the back of your head". I never stop directly behind a car but to one side or the other ans end up with the bike pointing to roll beside them. Saved my bacon more than once.

And this happened here today notice it's a Police bike?

http://www.whio.com/news/news/local/kettering-police-officer-reportedly-involved-crash/nbcfP/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts