Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 72 and like a lot of folks here have been riding most my life, since I was 11 or 12 running around on those Allstate scooters. I grew up in a small Texas town and the sheriff knew everyone by name, and also knew if you had a license too. If you really got stupid he would stop you, otherwise he would just drop by the house and have a chat with your Dad! Needless to say, the old sheriff was the most respected and honored dude in town! He could stop riding in a heart beat!

I've had a bike except for a few long months when I was serving an overseas tour in the Army. I wasn't in that long, just June 1967 - July 1987, 20 years and 18 wonderful days.

I've been riding this BMW K1600GTL, and I swear every time I rode it, the damned thing gained weight! Someone on the BMW forum mentioned the Versys 1000 and I took a peek about a year ago. So I have been looking.

I live in Manhattan Kansas, and found a 2019 in Kansas City at a dealer with 20K miles, I called he said come ride it. I did. Decided immediately the Versys 1000 was going to be my next bike, but this dealer didn't really want to sell it bad enough.

The second of August, I took my BMW to Motorado (near Denver) and had them sell it for me because I hate that process. It was quick and easy and only took weeks. During that time I found a 2019 in Fayetteville, Arkansas with 135 miles on it at Freedom Powersports, and those fellows wanted to do business! So on the 18th of August I became the proud owner of a 2019 V1000 SE LT+ !

I love the way it handles! The only problem I have is getting on and off that 33" tall seat. I have to step on the peg and swing a leg over. Once on I can flat foot but I'm not limber enough to get my leg over standing on the ground. In 2020 I had 4 vertebrae in my lumbar section fused together, so that might have a little to do with that! I had to do something because the sciatic pain was so bad I could only ride for 15 minutes before I had to quit, something had to give!

At any rate I'm here! I have a strong mechanical background but I don't know everything there is to know about Versys, as far as that goes, I find out almost daily I'm not as smart as I thought I was! So please bear with me as I ask and learn about this great bike!.....jimd

·
Super Moderator
20,641 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

FWIW - I joined the RCAF three months after you joined the Army.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Hope it works out for you. I am ex navy, just one tour, my son retired from the army, I ride the 650 and get on the same way you do.

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. Hope it works out for you. I am ex navy, just one tour, my son retired from the army, I ride the 650 and get on the same way you do.
Thanks! Appreciate your & your son's service too!

·
Administrator
8,309 Posts
Welcome aboard X service men and enjoy your ride. This forum is about asking and learning and no worries on it. We will be glad to help if your need any info. Stay Safe.

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard X service men and enjoy your ride. This forum is about asking and learning and no worries on it. We will be glad to help if your need any info. Stay Safe.
Super! Thanks! We all have to keep a big eye out for the texting a-holes!

·
Premium Member
9,767 Posts
Welcome from Canada

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nothing wrong with standing on the left foot peg to mount the bike. I'm 56 years old. No physical problems and that's what I do. If it works, don't fix it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nothing wrong with standing on the left foot peg to mount the bike. I'm 56 years old. No physical problems and that's what I do. If it works, don't fix it.
Couldn't agree more. I in fact found that with the lowering block I still had trouble getting my leg over the rear seat, so I went back to the stock height ( removed the block ) and just use the peg to mount. The rear suspension works much better without the lowering block. At least adjusting the preload actually does something. I was surprised how much the lowering block affected the spring rate.

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for your service and congratulations on your new bike!
Also, cool nickname, Chair Doctor :)
Thanks! Chair Doc is actually the name of a little woodworking repair business I started over 20 years ago. It grew to do anything wooden and now that I am about to retire I am almost back down to chairs - if I can't easily lift it, I don't want to work on it! Have to work to buy accessories!

·
Registered
2019 Versys 1000
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couldn't agree more. I in fact found that with the lowering block I still had trouble getting my leg over the rear seat, so I went back to the stock height ( removed the block ) and just use the peg to mount. The rear suspension works much better without the lowering block. At least adjusting the preload actually does something. I was surprised how much the lowering block affected the spring rate.
You answered a question I had in the back of my mind, I was wondering if lowering would have much, if any affect on the spring rate and suspension. Thanks, inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome! I joined the Navy a year before you joined up, and with active duty and Reserve time I did about 27 years. I have a 2020 Versys 650 and also use the peg to mount and dismount because like you, I am not limber enough to swing my leg over. I've considered lowering but hope to avoid that if possible. Once on, handles like a dream. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts