Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I will be picking up my 2015 Versys 650 LT and I am very excited. I am trading in my 2006 Ninja 650r, which has been a great bike over the years, but is now a little rough. Now I am gearing up for the final 100 mile ride to the dealership, but there is a problem. The Ninja must have felt put off over this whole affair, because earlier this week she died on me during a short ride. I bump started her and managed to ride her home, however it looks like the alternator/stator is bad. A voltage meter revealed that the battery is not receiving a charge. Only a few days to go and she is giving me these problems! So if I can somehow make it to the dealer I can get the trade in value. It’s not worth much, but a few hundred bucks is a few hundred bucks. I have two batteries, do you guys think it would be possible to make the 100 mile trip on battery power alone? I was also thinking of avoiding this hassle and donating the bike some charitable group that will come and take it off my hands. At least I would get a tax credit.

One other note. I live in the city and don’t have access to proper tools or a proper workspace, so doing work on the bike is not an option.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Next week I will be picking up my 2015 Versys 650 LT and I am very excited. I am trading in my 2006 Ninja 650r, which has been a great bike over the years, but is now a little rough. Now I am gearing up for the final 100 mile ride to the dealership, but there is a problem. The Ninja must have felt put off over this whole affair, because earlier this week she died on me during a short ride. I bump started her and managed to ride her home, however it looks like the alternator/stator is bad. A voltage meter revealed that the battery is not receiving a charge. Only a few days to go and she is giving me these problems! So if I can somehow make it to the dealer I can get the trade in value. It’s not worth much, but a few hundred bucks is a few hundred bucks. I have two batteries, do you guys think it would be possible to make the 100 mile trip on battery power alone? I was also thinking of avoiding this hassle and donating the bike some charitable group that will come and take it off my hands. At least I would get a tax credit.

One other note. I live in the city and don’t have access to proper tools or a proper workspace, so doing work on the bike is not an option.
Charge the battery fully and disconnect the headlight and tail light. If you have two batteries, take 'em both and change if necessary.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Charge the battery, leave it parked in a dodgy part of town with the key left in it.....insurance claim

:badidea:

·
Registered
153 Posts
How about just putting it on Craigslist for a cash sale? Be honest about the issue, and let people come to you. You've got two batteries, so potential buyers can see it runs etc, it just doesn't charge. If the price is right, a charging issue wouldn't scare a lot of people.

·
Registered
805 Posts
you have a 650r are buying a versys and your name is mr Vulcan. You must hate Kawasakis. did you look at the Vulcan 650s?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I never looked at the Vulcan. I saw the Versys and it was nearly love at first site.

I decided I am going to go for it. I will probably make the trip on Thursday, so hopefully I will make it. It will be good to have a last ride on the Ninja, providing she doesn't let me down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did make it after all, and didn't even need to change the battery. I suspect that maybe continuous highway driving was able to charge the battery even if just a little. Certainly the stop and go city driving wasn't charging it.

In any case, I now have a brand spanking new white 2015 650 LT and loving it. I decked it out with the fog lights, heated grips, top case, and admore lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts