Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a good price on a new 2015 650 LT and am ready to buy. I'd like a few extras thrown into the deal. I was thinking the DC power port and gear shift indicator. What would you ask for knowing what's available and won't break the dealers bank?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would ask something like "Can you make me a deal on the power port and gear shift indicator if I buy them now?".

Most dealerships give a discount on accessories purchased with the bike, usually 10-20%. They will probably offer something like this even if it's not their policy. At that point I usually round up, in this case maybe add $150 to 200 to your base price and ask if they can do it all for that amount.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Congrats in advance on your new bike.

While I am indeed a Versys rider, I used to work for a Yamaha-Suzuki dealer. By the time a vehicle has sat around a couple seasons, the dealer has reached a point with the mother ship (manufacturer) so that the interest they are paying and have paid to date on that machine starts to be substantial. The "margin" you think they are making on it that was skinny even back in 2015 is about non-existent a couple years later.

Granted it's just one season-non current, they might be profiting from the "set-up" and delivery fees but perhaps not much beyond that at this point. Their ability to "throw in" stuff on a deal is not what you might think, based on overhead, having to pay wages and so on.

You can try, or ask for all you want, but in reality- you might be surprised when they say "no".

Typically if you ask-- you can often get 20% off for awhile on accessories you might source through them. Maybe score a jacket or some boots and take a discount if you don't need anything for the bike right away. I had seen my dealer also throw in a bike cover on some occasions-- you can get by with a cheap one, and they are nice to have sometimes.

Lastly, you can sometimes negotiate towards that first service appointment that will be coming up-- maybe get them to compose a note on your closing-paperwork that allows a discount, etc., towards that first-service appt.

Just some ideas brother, I did not work in sales, but I heard the stories. It may not be gospel, but it's what I experienced.

I know some dealers that laugh and say they make more money off lawn mowers and tractors vs. motorcycles-profit, so go figure.

All the best in any regard,

paul

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
My ex-dealership owner friend says he made most of his money on parts and accessories. He didn't charge the bogus dealer fees that some charge on New motorcycles. He also sold at a fair price so he didn't have to pay interest and sell at a loss.

OEM accessories Mark up is around 40 percent so 20 to 25 percent off what you add to the purchase is fair. But if they know you are buying anyway, they might not go for the add-ons.

Did you look and serif Kawasaki is offering any incentives? The dealers try and make it sound like 'they' are giving you a deal, when the reality is the manufacturer is reducing the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The list on the bike is $8699. There's a $1000 rebate. The OTD price is $7000 plus I pay the tax and tags. I don't think there's a lot more for the dealer to give so I'll ask for the power port and gear shift indicator and see if they'll include them in the deal. They're easy enough to install so I would do it myself.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The list on the bike is $8699. There's a $1000 rebate. The OTD price is $7000 plus I pay the tax and tags. I don't think there's a lot more for the dealer to give so I'll ask for the power port and gear shift indicator and see if they'll include them in the deal. They're easy enough to install so I would do it myself.
How did it work out for you?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts