Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The x-300 calls for 2.2 Liters or 2.3 quarts of oil if you are swapping out the oil filter, which i did. I definitely measured the correct amount when i added it but the oil level is still quite below the minimum level according to the check window, even after running the engine for a while. In fact, the oil doesn't even make it to the bottom of the check window unless i lean the bike inwards a little bit. I'm not sure whether to trust the manual or to trust the check window level. Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy between the actual oil amount and the amount in the manual? Should i just add more oil or will i risk overfilling it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this too! I wound up adding about half quart to get to middle of window (when bike is level). Been 1500 miles since and no issues, so I'm inclined to agree with the trust the window thought too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have always had to fill with about 2.6 quarts each oil and filter change to get to the top mark on the sight glass. I'm not sure why Kawi has such a different number for this, and most folks on here have reported that the recommended amount was not nearly enough. As long as you're on level ground I would trust the sight glass, the crankshaft is much higher than the top of the glass anyhow so there's little risk of having issues if you can still see some air while level.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I never measure oil and always fill to the max line, run the engine for a minute, shut off and wait a few minutes before checking again and filling to just below the max mark. Just make sure the bike is on level ground and held balanced by the right side handgrip.

Reactions: Bzotya

·
Registered
24 Posts
I, too, had this issue. Trust the sight window! Also, I found out that depending on the oil filter you use it will require more of less - depending on the filter. Some hold more oil, some less...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I brought my bike to the dealer for 6000km check. He replaced the oil and if I check the window the oil level is a bit low. I guess it seems to be good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I brought my bike to the dealer for 6000km check. He replaced the oil and if I check the window the oil level is a bit low. I guess it seems to be good.
So with the bike level is it low or is it between the two marks? “Seems to be good” is a bit concerning. LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so somebody on youtube actually did the oil change on the x300 and commented that theirs takes about 2.8 liters. In the video, that puts it at the high mark. I ended up putting 2.7 liters (with oil filter change) in mine and it sits about in the middle of the window.

·
Registered
541 Posts
you need to trust the window. recently, I changed the oil in my V1000 and had to put much more oil than manual recommend for it to be seen in the window. But you need to first let the bike idle for a while, and then let the oil settle for 5min or even longer. than the reading should be correct with the bike straight, not on the main stand either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts