Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I'm hearing, a fender eliminator is one if the cheapest and easiest modifications you can do to your bike that has a very noticible impact on the look of the bike. I've been looking at pictures of the Targa and the R&G Tidy Tail, and I'm liking both. So my question to you - What do you use? Pictures also appreciated. People on this forum seem to be much more straight forward and unbaised compared to reviews I see online, which is why I ask. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I dont. I like staying clean without the spray up my back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After reading what people say on this forum, after initially being interested in a fender eliminator, I decided to dremel the extra plastic off from the license plate on. That is the ugliest part of the stock fender and I really don't feel like having the dirt skunk strip down my back and the back of the head.
Or is there a fender eliminator that still covers your back?

What I have now...

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
After reading what people say on this forum, after initially being interested in a fender eliminator, I decided to dremel the extra plastic off from the license plate on. That is the ugliest part of the stock fender and I really don't feel like having the dirt skunk strip down my back and the back of the head.
+1. I kept my reflector though, just moved it up to just under the plate. Cost - a little bit of my time. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fender Chopped!

I really liked the way Capn Kirk's fender looked so I went out to local Menard's, bought a mini hacksaw for $4 and a 12" file for $4 and fixed mine in a similar manner, with the reflector immediately below the plate, $8 beats $70-$80 any day, thanks Capn Kirk!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I really liked the way Capn Kirk's fender looked so I went out to local Menard's, bought a mini hacksaw for $4 and a 12" file for $4 and fixed mine in a similar manner, with the reflector immediately below the plate, $8 beats $70-$80 any day, thanks Capn Kirk!
You bet! Plenty of plastic to keep the water strip off your back too! :thumb:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well i had today off and decided to emulate what you and kirk did (but I didnt include the reflector). Figure I would post some pictures in case someone in interested.

Only cost $11.71 and about 10 mins to make a simple cut and change the look completely :) :thanx:

BEFORE :eek:

AFTER :)

Parts + Bill :) == Hammer for size reference - Didnt show the 2 extra files i got in the package.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hacksaw method is seeming better and better. You just toss that bottom reflector? I feel sad whenever I throw away a part.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my R&G eliminator. Definitely was not the most cost-effective solution, but I have no regrets.

Edit: 8-24-12 This may not work with Trax Alu-Box luggage. Also, it during rain, the effects are quite nasty with the mud and whatnot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The hacksaw method is seeming better and better. You just toss that bottom reflector? I feel sad whenever I throw away a part.
Yeah I tossed it for now. Others have reused it. I don't think its going to help that much from a safety standpoint.

I have to agree with the others.. I had a bike with a "fender eliminator" and if you do any kind of riding in the rain your back is going to get muddy fast.

To me its worth keeping a bit on the back end to stop all that crap from spraying all over you and your bike. 12 dollar mod seemed to be the better option for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rear fender/road spray modification

I've owned my '08 Versys for 1½ years now and just got around to consider doing something about the ugly[my opinion] road spray guard below the rear license plate. I do ride some dirt/gravel roads which are sometimes wet or a little muddy and like some of you, I am not fond of the muddy strip up the backside of my riding jacket.

I looked at doing the complete fender elimination look as some of you have posted but decided to keep some protection instead. With a Dremel, a cut-off wheel, painter's tape, I masked off the black plastic into a V-shape and cut off the excess. I sanded the edges smooth to eliminate any plastic burrs.

I then took my chrome license plate frame, sanded it, primed it and painted it a dark grey hammered finish and added reflective safety tape in lieu of the original reflector.

I am pleased with my result. Your comments are welcomed. :feedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've owned my '08 Versys for 1½ years now and just got around to consider doing something about the ugly[my opinion] road spray guard below the rear license plate. I do ride some dirt/gravel roads which are sometimes wet or a little muddy and like some of you, I am not fond of the muddy strip up the backside of my riding jacket.

I looked at doing the complete fender elimination look as some of you have posted but decided to keep some protection instead. With a Dremel, a cut-off wheel, painter's tape, I masked off the black plastic into a V-shape and cut off the excess. I sanded the edges smooth to eliminate any plastic burrs.

I then took my chrome license plate frame, sanded it, primed it and painted it a dark grey hammered finish and added reflective safety in lieu of the original reflector.

I am pleased with my result. Your comments are welcomed. :feedback:
Looks great! Sadly I'm not handy enough to do something like that. I'm thinking MAYBE I can take a hacksaw and chop it off in an almost-straight line, sand it down and mount the plate. Yours really does look awesome :thumb:

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you have an <09 model you can just get a 2 inch strip of aluminum and cut away most of the rear assembly and rivet the plate on the strip. I lost the plate light and used the stock turn signals which I really like.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fender Chopped

Here's my version of the chop/bob, not a great pic, but I basically did a crude cut version of ThunderDog's cuts with the $4 mini hacksaw and $4 file, and below the license plate at the bottom of the V, I drilled a hole to accommodate the rear reflector. Very satisfied, love this forum for innovative idea sharing!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts