Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2009 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So yesterday, my father and I tackled the rear fender delete on my 09' 650. A bit more involved than I had originally anticipated, but I think once I get a few loose ends fixed, it will be great!. I purchased an ebay kit to do it... Ebay Delete Kit . We could not get the lights to work. It came with a regulator of sorts, and we were able to get it to blink, but not able to get the lights to work coming from the existing wiring. They worked when hooked directly to the battery, but couldn't make any progress at all getting them to work on the back of the bike. Any ideas?

Also, what can I do to fix the ugly wires coming off the stock lights? I can't abide that. Hideous. Ditto for the bolts/mounting hardware under the seat. What would you guys recommend? Pics of the project so far: Rear Fender Delete

Thanks everyone!

Premium Member
You need to post a wiring diagram or instructions included with the kit. Original wiring has a common ground to the tail light , plate light and brake light. Brake gets a switched positive , signal lights are in parallel with the front , left and right signal.

Reactions: Fastoman

Registered
2013 v650
At the very least you could use model paint to cover the bright steel colored bolts to flat or gloss black. You could also replace them with shorter ones that don't stick down so far. Use wiring protective sleeves to cover and protect the wiring. Example look at a computer power supply for examples. They can be had in many colors.

Registered
2009 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to post a wiring diagram or instructions included with the kit. Original wiring has a common ground to the tail light , plate light and brake light. Brake gets a switched positive , signal lights are in parallel with the front , left and right signal.
Unfortunately no instructions were given with the set. We just assumed it would be pretty straight forward, but apparently not. If I were to take some detailed photographs, do you think that would possibly help you? Keep in mind that I am completely novice with wiring, I've never done it and know next to nothing about it. Hence the reason my father was brought in to help on it. However, he's now a 4 hour drive away.

What I don't understand, is that the lights worked fine when hooked directly to power source (battery). However, when hooked to the original wiring for the turn signal.. I got squat. There was power being transmitted, because the "regulator" that they sent me flashed in unison with the turn signal. Possibly a bad output on it? I am so lost.

Registered
2009 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the very least you could use model paint to cover the bright steel colored bolts to flat or gloss black. You could also replace them with shorter ones that don't stick down so far. Use wiring protective sleeves to cover and protect the wiring. Example look at a computer power supply for examples. They can be had ne many colors.
What I think I may do, is if I have to stick with these original lights... I will purchase two spools of wire in different colors, and rewire them to be longer, so that I can route them up the center so they aren't seen. I will also put them in a heat shrink wrap.

As for the bolts.. I think you might be right about the model paint. However, I was wondering if there might be a way to fashion an insert of sorts to go on the underside of the tail section to cover that stuff and make it flat. Hmmm.

Premium Member
That module, does it have a circuit diagram on it? Since this is not a canbus motorcycle , chances are good that the tail light / license plate light , wire also needs to go to the positive power input. Had the same thing on the Admore lighting module.

Premium Member
At the very least , post the colours of the wires OEM and what they connect to. Make sure those with tracers , the dominate colour and tracer colour . Be easier if you have a circuit drawing on the module. I could give you a pin out with that

Registered
2009 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That module, does it have a circuit diagram on it? Since this is not a canbus motorcycle , chances are good that the tail light / license plate light , wire also needs to go to the positive power input. Had the same thing on the Admore lighting module.
I don't have it with me as I'm at work, but am I understanding you correctly? You are saying I may need to splice in the power from the brake light into each turn signal? (on the positive side)

Premium Member
No, the tail light may need to go to two wires, tail and power input to the module. Without the cct drawing it is a guess at best. So take a close up of the module and post it.

Registered
2009 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, it might be tomorrow morning before I'm able to post, but I'll get to it asap. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts