Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2008 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Fl light on my 2008 Versys 650 came on. Did the self check diagnostic and determined that it is the water temperature sensor. I don't know what to do now. Should the sensor be replaced or could it be that some wires are loose?

Premium Member
Hi, my Fl light on my 2008 Versys 650 came on. Did the self check diagnostic and determined that it is the water temperature sensor. I don't know what to do now. Should the sensor be replaced or could it be that some wires are loose?
First check the frame grounds and clean them. What is idle volts dc? If you respond to this post. I will dig deeper for you.

Registered
2008 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First check the frame grounds and clean them. What is idle volts dc. If you respond to this post. I will dig deeper for you.
Thanks for responding
Idle volt is 14.62
Is the frame ground the wire going from the negative of the battery to the frame? Sorry for the silly question but i am a bit blond

Premium Member
Thanks for responding
Idle volt is 14.62
Is the frame ground the wire going from the negative of the battery to the frame? Sorry for the silly question but i am a bit blond
No, that is the engine ground. There are 6 in total, one by the rear foot brake reservoir is the critical one.Under the seat. Below is both resistance test and voltage test. I doubt you are able to do the voltage test. A quick test would be to get it up to temp and see if the fan runs, quickly turn off and measure ohms.
A fast and rough test would be at ambient temperature, you should have something like 3000 ohms ( 20'C )--post what you have.

Font Parallel Slope Number Rectangle

Font Motor vehicle Parallel Screenshot Document

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
Welcome! Good luck with your issue. @onewizard is the guru -- you are in good hands 馃憤馃徎

Registered
2008 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, that is the engine ground. There are 6 in total, one by the rear foot brake reservoir is the critical one.Under the seat. Below is both resistance test and voltage test. I doubt you are able to do the voltage test. A quick test would be to get it up to temp and see if the fan runs, quickly turn off and measure ohms.
A fast and rough test would be at ambient temperature, you should have something like 3000 ohms ( 20'C )--post what you have.

View attachment 189296
View attachment 189297
I'll try and do the tests as soon possible, which may be in the middle of the week.
Say I do the test and there is nothing wrong with the voltage and resistance. I don't know if that is possible, but what would my next step be then?

Premium Member
I'll try and do the tests as soon possible, which may be in the middle of the week.
Say I do the test and there is nothing wrong with the voltage and resistance. I don't know if that is possible, but what would my next step be then?
Do that first. You could have a connector problem or a power supply problem. The 07 produced some of the instrumentation voltage which is 5 volts, in the front cluster housing. The 07 had issues with corrosion in some of the connectors. Mainly guys storing the bikes outside in the rain. And it was like 1 in 10000. Lets do one step at a time. Fyi there is a issue with the 07 associated with the fan not running between 1 and 3 km

Here is my post in reference to the 07 @Verspkd

Registered
2008 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do that first. You could have a connector problem or a power supply problem. The 07 produced some of the instrumentation voltage which is 5 volts, in the front cluster housing. The 07 had issues with corrosion in some of the connectors. Mainly guys storing the bikes outside in the rain. And it was like 1 in 10000. Lets do one step at a time. Fyi there is a issue with the 07 associated with the fan not running between 1 and 3 km

Here is my post in reference to the 07 @Verspkd
Bought the bike second hand and observered a lot of rust that the seller just spary painted. Had some trouble with the bike a while ago with the ignition. Every time i would try to start, everything would go dead. Found some connections that had bit of oxidation, clean it up and the bike started and ran fine. Could that be related to this issue?

Premium Member
Bought the bike second hand and observered a lot of rust that the seller just spary painted. Had some trouble with the bike a while ago with the ignition. Every time i would try to start, everything would go dead. Found some connections that had bit of oxidation, clean it up and the bike started and ran fine. Could that be related to this issue?
I will answer with a question. Have you seen the fan run? I mentioned earlier about corrosion and connectors. The front speedo module has a basic usb power supply in it (5 VDC ) That powers some of the sensors. Some MK-1 had a direct connection to the back of the module, others had a master plug. It is a known problem on the MK-1 with corrosion. There are connectors from both handlebars, they affect headlights, clutch switch, signal lights , city lights, horn- right side, kill switch, ignition switch, start relay, brake light. On top of that, at least two members had a problem with the connector going to the ECU. Much of what I just stated, I avoided posting before, simply because I work towards resolving individual problems, everything in a orderly fashion. Your call, imagine following the manual and using continuity on your meter to trace from the cluster back to the 2 connectors at the ECU ( which would involve pulling the ECU )
The two members I mentioned found the connector under the seat going to the ECU loose, and one had a bent pin ( not 100 % sure as it has been around 4 years ago).

Registered
2008 Versys 650
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will answer with a question. Have you seen the fan run? I mentioned earlier about corrosion and connectors. The front speedo module has a basic usb power supply in it (5 VDC ) That powers some of the sensors. Some MK-1 had a direct connection to the back of the module, others had a master plug. It is a known problem on the MK-1 with corrosion. There are connectors from both handlebars, they affect headlights, clutch switch, signal lights , city lights, horn- right side, kill switch, ignition switch, start relay, brake light. On top of that, at least two members had a problem with the connector going to the ECU. Much of what I just stated, I avoided posting before, simply because I work towards resolving individual problems, everything in a orderly fashion. Your call, imagine following the manual and using continuity on your meter to trace from the cluster back to the 2 connectors at the ECU ( which would involve pulling the ECU )
The two members I mentioned found the connector under the seat going to the ECU loose, and one had a bent pin ( not 100 % sure as it has been around 4 years ago).
Sorry for coming back now, but i crashed one of my other bikes.
Fan runs. But i think i found my problem. Traced the wire and looks like it was damaged, repaired that and the Fl light went of so problem sorted馃憤

1 - 11 of 11 Posts