Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
....now if we could switch around the nekkidness of the bike and the rider we'd really be on to something here :yeahsmile:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I heard an interview with the new fastest woman, Trillium Muir from Sudbury Ontario which is pretty close to here, on Radio Canada recently. Extraordinary achievement, especially considering the day's poignant tragedy:

This past September, when Muir once again returned to Maxton's East Coast Timing Association North Carolina (originally a World War II air base runway at 210' asl) in an attempt to regain her title, Dave Owen, a fellow racer who had taught Muir the proper tuck position for land-speed riders, was doing a run following his son when he crashed at 215 mph and died at the scene. For the close-knit group of racers, the accident was devastating. "Everyone in the pits including me was crying," Muir says, "and all I wanted to do was load the bike in the truck and go home." Owen's son Josh, 20, spoke to the crowd about an hour later: "It would be my father's wishes that the racing continue." Three hours later, the competitors lined up once again to take a run. For Muir, this would probably be her final opportunity of the season to regain her title. Remembering everything Owen had taught her about how to hold a proper racing tuck, she blasted down the measured mile at 239.11750 mph to regain the title of world's fastest woman.
Next year, Muir plans to return to the max-ton mile, but she is aware that there's a limit to how fast she can go. "My goal next year is to go 250 mph. If I achieve that, I will climb off the bike and never make another land-speed record attempt."

Dave Owen on a turbo Busa at Maxton speedway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQG14pJU9xA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfy0tQmpwB0

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
She is often at High Five Cycles in Dallas and I've chatted with her several times. You won't find a more courteous lady anywhere, and she knows her motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I love the salt flats and this woman blows me away...She set world speed record at Bonnie on a NAKED Busa of 209 mph. Easy on the eyes, and the bike ain't bad either.
And we bitch about lid buffet ;)
Except that's not a naked bike. The class designation on the tail says "PS", which means "partially streamlined". Fairings are not allowed in unstreamlined classes. I crewed for a friend for a few years, and he ran both classes, so I'm aware of the difference.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn Dallas, you met her...I gotta get to Dallas....Have to swing on up to see mudarra...One has to verify these kind of things ;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
We were at the September Maxton event when our friend dave was killed, a terrible day for sure.
Dave was making a shakedown pass and my youngest son Chad was suppose to ride the bike on the next pass going for the all motor record. Chad had rode the bike in June but it was hot, his pass was 222mph and Dave thought in the cooler september weather Chad would break 225mph.
Dave was an awesome builder, tuner and rider and we all miss him dearly.

Getting back to the original post.......Trillium is not only a great rider but a wonderful girl and because she has not run at Bonneville, she has not received the appropiate recognition.
Same day, same bike & my money would be on Tril.

Dan

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That's amazing, oldkawboy. Dave killed performing a shakedown run for your own son, just before his attempt. Who's bike was it? Is the cause still under investigation? Sorry about Dave's sudden passing. Sounds like he lived a full, fast life, and was a great asset and friend to the racing community. Thanks for your fascinating insight about Trillium as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts

Invader,
It was Dave's bike. The September event has the Fastest Streetbike in America shoot-out and Dave made the pass to check the bike out and it was fastest enough to win the all motor class for the week-end.
The owner of the bike has to be the rider to compete in the shoot-out. Fot the all time fastest all motor passes, Dave had Chad ride the bike and Chad was going next but it never happened.

Above is a shot from the June event with Dave standing and Chad on the bike.

Dave may have had a medical issue when he went off the track. The bike had no indication of mechanical failure.

BTW..... The all motor record was bumped up to 227mph this past week-end by the Larry Forstall team.

And you were right, he was truly a great asset and friend to the racing community.

RIP DaveO, we miss you.

dan

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Great natural photograph of Dave, and Chad with the machine... Thanks for sharing that with us, Dan. :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts