Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal: My cold start fast idle is a little unruly.
- From what I remember, fast idle was right at around 2K when I first got the bike
- about a week later it started out with a rough fast idle at about 1600 rpm and crept up over 5-10 seconds to 1900 rpm for the duration of the warm up
- I adjusted the main throttle sensor 1/2 mm; this smoothed out throttle response at lower rpm -- I like the ride much better like this
- I did not measure TPS voltages (didn't immediately figure out how to do so inline, with connector connected)
- bike runs great once warmed up
- after multiple subthrottle sensor adjustments I've got it down to settle at around 2K rpm, but it still starts out a bit rough when cold (air temps not below low 50s F) -- some hesitation, starts out lower than 2K and slowly works its way there
- normal/warm idle seems to move -- I'll set it to 1350, or so, but then later at a stop light it will be at 1500, e.g.
- also, is it normal for the idle/idle needle to fluctuate by about 50 rpm, or should the needle be rock steady?

more info:
- '08 model, put into service Apr '11
- bought a couple weeks ago w/ 1K miles on it
- now has 1800 miles
- FI light flashed the other day when I pushed it past 7500 rpm; repeated it a couple times, then it stayed off
- no stored codes from mode 2

Any ideas? invader to the white courtesy phone :)

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
You tried recovering codes set in memory by doing this?:
-KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal (orange/black single female connector under seat) rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session.

There has to be a code set in memory... Do you hear the subthrottle valve actuator cycle normally when you turn ignition on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You tried recovering codes set in memory by doing this?:
-KEY ON, touch the self-diagnosis terminal (orange/black single female connector under seat) rapidly to ground more than 5 times within 2 seconds. The lead must remain grounded (after 5 groundings) for the remainder of the diagnostic session.

There has to be a code set in memory... Do you hear the subthrottle valve actuator cycle normally when you turn ignition on?
Yes. I surprised not to find a code. Hmm.

And, yes, I do believe the normal startup buzzes and whirz occur. Subthrottle valve actuator positions itself. Today after work it went to 3K and then dropped to 2K ... but still with a few hiccups here and there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts