Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as I start my bike the fan comes on and stays on.

I simplistically thought it was the water temp sensor and replaced it - no change but gave me a chance to change the coolant

The fan relay shown 0 Ohms when powered per the manual

I see that the ECU also controls the fan and hoping that this is not the problem

Any ideas?

·
Registered
255 Posts
your fan relay could be defective - arced closed - and always allowing voltage to be applied by not opening its contacts. You can check the relay by removing it and seeing if it opens/closes contacts when 12V is applied to it. If it does, then likely the ECU is never turning off the signal to the relay.

I do not know whether the relay is N/C normally closed, or N/O normally open when the coolant is cold. You also could have a bad connection comming from the temps sensor back to the ECU.

The most logical choice for me would be the relay itself. Relays are electromechanical in nature so fail with bad contacts, worn contacts, and also with the elecronic coil problems - coils usually burn and open (and no longer function).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After replacing the switch, my next culprit in line was the relay

The Versys uses a non serviceable "relay box" containing all 3 relays and several diodes.
Per the wiring schematic in the manual the relay is normally open

I powered the fan relay and can hear it clicking. 0 Ohms when powered per the manual so the fan relay should be OK

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Can you check if the relay is in fact open when not powered? Is there infinite resistance across the fan relay's other 2 connectors when relay is not powered?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the clicking not indicate that it is closing when powered?

I am confused with the manuals description of the non-powered test. It says "Not" then has two zeros touching
See page 16=84 discussing relay box testing

·
Registered
23 Posts
0 ohms is closed. Which is correct when powered. But you already know the fan is getting power. What you want to see is if the relay opens when not powered.
Clicking just means the solenoid is moving. That's no guarantee the circuit is actually opening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Taking a look at the diagram, it's a little blurry when I zoom in, but the relay connector has:
Two green wires 12v+ from the fan fuse
A blue/red power to the fan
And purple/blue power from the ECU.

Colors look like BL/R and P/BL, I might be off because of the blurry zoom. Either way, it seems you should be looking for the 12v signal from the ECU.
If it's powering the p/bl wire, then it is purposely running the fun. That's no bueno. Keep looking for wiring issues, double check your new sensor, or replace the ECU.
But if you don't have voltage there. Then the relay is misbehaving and sending 12v out the bl/r wire to the fan anyway and needs to be replaced.

I hope I'm helping.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sling - very helpful thanks a lot.

I need to figure out a way to check if the ECU is sending power to the relay as it only happens when the engine is running, and not just with the key on.
Perhaps I should have mentioned the key on symptom from the beginning

It is the symbol in the manual that is confusing me I now find to be infinity. Still confused by what the manual means by "not infinity" when the relay when not powered. If not infinity what is it supposed to be?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
With the relay box removed, infinite resistance (open circuit) across connections 17 and 20 will confirm that the fan relay is in fact open when not powered.

∞ Ω = Infinite Resistance (Open Circuit)

Not ∞ Ω = Not Infinite Resistance (Closed Circuit)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Relay box removed from bike and un-powererd
17 - 20 = infinite resistance
18 - 19 = infinite resistance
the manual states "not infinite" between 18 -19 and I have infinite resistance

Does test this not indicate that the N/O relay is open when not powered - IE normal
0 Ohms when powered which is normal and in any case the fan runs

Note that with the key in the on position the fan is not on.
It only runs when the bike is running

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Make sure your tester leads have a good contact on the connections. Confirm that your meter is well connected with a Not Infinite Resistance reading between 18 and 19... You know its not infinite, as you claim to hear it clicking when powered.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I questioned that too and probed it a couple of times.

Sling suggests that it could be clicking but not connection (he states opening) so I did not question it too much.

Went out and tested again and infinite across both pairs

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
If that particular relay clicks when powered, then 18 and 19 are NOT infinite. Check your meter and leads.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Did that, and when the leads are connected resistance is .32

It must be connecting as the fan is on

What does the manual mean by "not infinite" between 18 - 19. This is the power side of the relay
17 and 20 is the switch

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
To summarize:

Un-powered N/O relay tests normally open (infinite resistance) pins 17 - 20 switch side of the relay - correct
When powered it tests across 17 - 20 at 0 Ohms - correct

Un-powered N/O relay tests infinite across 18 - 19 coil side of the relay
manual states "not infinite"
Infinite across 17 - 20 which -correct

Fan does not come on with ignition key in the ON position
Fan runs when the bike is running

Coolant switch is new

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yes. 18 and 19 are the coil circuit. It is NOT infinite if the coil is operational and clicks when powered.

17 and 20 should be infinite when not activated and not powering the fan.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
the only test in the manual for coil side 18 - 19 is un-powered and stated as "not infinite"
Mine is infinite

The fan runs so it is getting power across the coil
The switch side of the relay tests out both open and closed

Is it not a switching issue?

My mind boggles

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The switch side of the relay tests out both open and closed under what conditions?

The fan runs, so it's getting power across the switch. The switch should be open when the coil is not powered. The coil should not be powered when engine is not hot enough.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
the switch side of the relay test out on the bench both powered and un-powered

I just ran the engine cold (or as cold as it gets in 32C Chiangmai) and tested for voltage at the relay connector ECU Pink/Blue wire as suggested by Sling. No voltage present

Disconnected the temp sensor with the cold engine running and the fan runs in both connected and disconnected modes

I am at a loss as the fan runs so the coil side must be OK - no?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts