Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use any product on their shield for the rain that works good? On the highway the wind clears my shield, but below 45 or so there is not enough wind, and the rain builds up.

I used to use rain-x on my car windshield and loved it. The windshield would stay clear without the wipers. I just dont know how rain-x responds with plastic, and dont feel like potentially destroying a shield finding out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have a half-assed response: it is second-hand experience. :eek:
I have not tried it myself, but a bunch of riders from New England (where it can "sometimes" rain :p) use spray-on car wax. It makes the water bead up like Rain-X does on a glass car windshield.

Not enough yet? OK, more second-hand info:
Rain-X on a face shield will make the shield somewhat opaque over time. I also don't want to ruin my face shield trying to prove this wrong. :D

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
I use Rain-X on my Scorpion Modular not just the shield but the inner shield as well as the whole helmet and my Givi Windscreen. Works well and no damage to any of them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Got to love dual sport style helmets as their shields are so sharply angled the rain doesn't build up on them... but I do use a spray on car wax on my old bell arrow and it's shield

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've used rain-x but found the water beading it creates does not really make much difference when it comes to keeping it clear. Has anyone tried a wiper blade on their glove? Does this work? I'm a BIG fan of anti fog spray on the inside of the visor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rain-X works great. I put it on the shield, windscreen, headlight and mirrors. The squeegees on the gloves are pretty much worthless. Even if Rain-X damages the shield over time it's well worth the increased safety the visibility gives you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I use a car wax, people say it will cause a shield to yellow. I have never had that happen, I do replace my shields with new one every spring. I hate having to look around a bunch of scratches.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I use some kind of Silicone sealant meant to enhanced wax painted surfaces for cars. It makes the surface slippery and repels water. Had them sprayed and wiped over the windshield and helmet shield....head lamps too.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
just my two cents.....we all know that products like good ole Windex should never be used on windscreens or helmet face shields (Ammonia BAD for plastics!) as the chemicals in it could have a adverse reaction with the various plastics used....causing it to lose it's protective qualities so to speak. the shield will react to the chems and its properties will be modified to a point where it may shatter instead of absorbing high velocity impacts.

Sure....the many different products mentioned may be doing the job of keeping your shields clear but at what cost.........
I would recommend checking with your helmet manufacturer before applying anything to your shields ( other than a mild soap and water)...the answers only an e-mail away after-all.
Rain-x is NOT made for plastics...glass only BUT...that being said, check this out http://www.fogtech.com/ ( they make "Raincoat" engineered for Poly-carbonates.
But I think it would still be worth a e-mail to your helmet manufacturers tech support.
Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I used to find that Rain-X didn't do much except make the screen fog up unless there was a fair bit of wind speed.

These days I use Vuplex, which is probably pretty much like Plexus and any other specialty cleaner. It works a lot better in shedding rain than I've found in the past.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts