Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be purchasing my new Versys soon - 3-4 weeks. I was wondering how many people purchase the extended warranty? I was quoted $470.

With the already proven reliability of Kawasaki products, would not this money be better spent on farkling?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The Kawasaki dealer I bought my bike from is owned by some good home town people. The way they put it to me was this. They said I could buy one, but they weren't going to push it. With a one year unlimited mileage warranty, just about anything that's going to be a catastrophic failure is going to happen in that time. Spend the warranty $$$ on some farkle. :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I declined it because, if there is a catastrophic failure after the warranty expires, Kawasaki is still more or less beholden to the public for selling safe bikes. The threat of a lawsuit would probably get their attention if Kawasaki did not take care of such a matter by themselves without prodding. The motor has been around for several years (in Europe as the ER-6 which, coincidentally, I nearly bought) so it is proven. The rest of the bike is very similar to the Ninja 650, another proven bike.

I read through the literature and tried to figure out what would be a strong reason for buying the extended warranty. I could find none, unless belonging to Kawasaki's Good Times club means something special.

Save your cash and trick out your bike. My 2¢.

·
Registered
2 Posts
While the extended warranty can provide peace of mind in some cases, what I've found to be the case usually is that if it is a multi-year contract, the first year of the extended warranty coincides with the manufacturer's warranty, thus you are screwed out of a year's coverage. Just my .02 .

·
Registered
469 Posts
I bought it. In three years at the rate I ride I'll very likely be in the 120,000 to 150,000 range.

My previous bike had many problems. I guess I'm paranoid and have peace of mind that even with high miles, I'm covered.

I also really don't care to work on bikes and bought the 3 year service plan the dealer offered (unlimited miles). In about 5 months it has more than paid for itself already.

So in MHO, if a person rides a lot, get it, if not that much, then don't.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I didn't get the extended warranty. Have been doing all my own work, and my dad's pretty mechanical when it gets over my head. Been spending the money on farkles...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Minor maintenance can be done on my own. I bought the warranty since this will be my only mode of transportation. I commute 60 miles daily. I'll have close to 20,000 miles in a year. It will be close to 100,000 mile in 4 years give or take a few thousand miles. I wanted to have a peace of mind if the engine is blown to pieces. Bottom line, spend your money where you see fit. If it breaks, spend more money on fixing and less on farkling.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just remember if you get an extended warranty, make sure you keep your service receipts. AND, if you modify the bike and they can somehow connect the modification to a failure, you will not be covered.

You should be able to uncover a manufacturing defect in the first year. The extended warranty is good insurance, but it probably is not needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the info. Kind of like i thought, most people don't buy the extended warranty. I did not on my 2003 ACE, and did not have any regrets. I too, do all of my own maintenance.
Can't wait till i get my new Versys!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
extended waranty

Hi
I have just bought a V in the last 3 weeks. I do not have it broke in
yet. I did buy the extended warranty $570 for a extra 4 years
coverage. Manufactorers warranty 1 year plus 4 more 5 years total.
The dealer droped the price about $500 so I would buy the bike and I
just added it back on warranty. The V seems to be a pretty strong
pulling bike and after I get it broke in I do not intend to play nice.
I just thought after a few years and I still should be hitting the
7k to 9k range that it would be comforting to know that if something
really bad does go wrong it should be covered. I do know that I will
have to keep all maintenance records up to date.
Just my thoughts on the warranty.
Proverbs 3:6
dmc51

1 - 10 of 10 Posts