Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm liking what I see and read about Versys's handling and nimbleness, but I've haven't really seen any good writeups about what it's like for long distance riding—especially for taller riders (me, 6'3")

Any personal observations and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

- canoeten

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm 6-4 and I feel the Versys fits me pretty well.

I got mine last August and it is my first bike so I don't have a lot of other experience to go on but:

-I did a lot of dry trips and one 2 day 825 mile weekend trip. This June I'm planning a 4 day, 1300 mile trip around Lake Superior.

-It is a personal preference, but most people do at least some modification to the seat, if not a replacement. I'm going to add an air hawk and maybe a little foam to level it out and then I think I will be good.

-Knee angle for longer rides seems to be good for me, but there is a way to add highway pegs if you like. As long as I can stretch my legs at stop light every now and then I'm good.

-When it is warm out I like the shorter windscreen. If it is raining or cold you will have to some figuring on what screen it will take to throw the wind up over you. I'm playing with that too, but not sure how much I want to spend due to the limited amount of use it will get.

-The biggest thing with touring on the Versys is going to be storage. I just picked up a waterproof duffle and saddle bags. As soon as the snow is gone I'm going to make a set of stand-offs to keep the saddle bags from sagging in when I tighten them down. I'll also be adding a rear rack.

Overall I think it works just fine, especially with no passenger. Long distance two up it might struggle a little depending on your riding style and expectations. Probably not as comfortable as say a Concourse or FJR, but it is a lot more nimble and fun in other scenarios and it still gets the touring job done well enough.

Hope that helps,

Mitch

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You can only go about a 100 miles and then you are out of gas. :(

:joke: Maybe search Motophyco he did the iron butt thing. 1500 in one road trip non-stop. :thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
You can only go about a 100 miles and then you are out of gas. :(
Really???

Versys has a 5 gallon tank and even loaded I've been getting well over 40 mpg.

On the weekend trip I referred to above, I know I had over 200 on my trip odometer before I stopped, but that was also all 2 lane 55mph roads.
I know it drops at higher speeds but most of my 55 mph roads I've been getting around 50 mpg or a little better.

I still think you should get 150 to 175 without any problems even with an extra load and a little more speed.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm 6'1", 35" inseam.

Custom Corbin (2" higher, 2" back) plus speedys peg-lowering kit, highway pegs on engine guards. Givi windscreen with extension.

I travelled 4k miles in Oct. 2011, going to Alaska (likely) this summer.

I've gone 250 miles on a tank, BTW. I also have a 1.5 gal. Kolpin additional capacity.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
5'8" here... I did a 19 day ride last July... 5600 miles... No Interstate mileage... Camping most nights...
Stock windscreen...
Stock seat (with an Airhawk pad)...
Pretty much stock everything.
Speedy's Flatfoot...
Happy Trail panniers...
Overboard waterproof duffel on the passenger seat...
Small top box...

I was in no rush and consistently got 50 to 60 mpg at an easy pace.

Had a ball... Even with the unplanned flat tire on the way home.

I've done a few 1000 and 1500 milers with the same setup... I got in the low 40 mpg on those trips due to faster speeds.

I would never give a second thought to hopping on and heading out. I keep her ready for the long ride at all times.

·
Registered
575 Posts
6-3 here as well. Have done lots of long rides including a saddle sore 1600 IBA ride. Made a seat pad and the bike was great.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Highly recommend the Airhawk Seat Cushion for longer rides. Longer than 30 minutes planned, mine comes out of the trunk! Really saves the ol' behind. Properly inflated per instructions (very little air with your butt almost touching) and it works great.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Highly recommend the Airhawk Seat Cushion for longer rides. Longer than 30 minutes planned, mine comes out of the trunk! Really saves the ol' behind. Properly inflated per instructions (very little air with your butt almost touching) and it works great.
+1 - I've been keeping mine on the seat 24/7... Even for the short rides.

·
Registered
42 Posts
6'-3" here. I did peg lowers, just got my seat back from having Spencer mod it, and added crash bars with highway pegs. Should be set for several long days in a row now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
6'1.5" here.
Have done a number of 1700~1900 km days (1,000 ml +), started with sheepskin seatpad, now the new R-Airhawk.
3 Pelican cases, and the Must was Speedys Peg Lowering Kit.

And survived a 110 lb 'Roo! Bent bashplate, dead 'roo....

Bill
and I still have the now-20 y.o. Triumph Tiger 900.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've done lots of multi-hundred days and one 700 mile day on my Versys. I had a small touring screen that came with the Madstad from the PO. (It was actually a VStrom windshield.)

I think the upright posture on the Versys is a key to the long distance comfort. Spencer has reworked my seat which makes a big difference, too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I do regular 1200 km plus rides in a return day trip. They are mostly tight winding runs linked together with fast transports to the next lower speed section... Air hawk works well too. Not powerful but an economical, fun bike that does the dirt sections well too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Ken here well I am 5 10' with 29'' to 30" inseam and to bad knees and 50+ years old and the sitting position on the v seems a bit cramped so I put some forward cruising pegs up front and I do 1000 miles a day with out to much problem..Knees well they hurt no matter what...ENJOY I DO!!! ps I,am so glad to here some guy also say they do 1000+ miles a day on the v I opened up new member introductions with looking for riding companion who is willing to do long rides and I got a lot of less than positive input so I,am not the only guy who does it HURRAY!!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was getting a sore backside and knee pain. Both have been cured with Speedy's peg lowering kit and a Bumbag4bikers bean bag for the seat.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi Ken here well I am 5 10' with 29'' to 30" inseam and to bad knees and 50+ years old and the sitting position on the v seems a bit cramped so I put some forward cruising pegs up front and I do 1000 miles a day with out to much problem..Knees well they hurt no matter what...ENJOY I DO!!! ps I,am so glad to here some guy also say they do 1000+ miles a day on the v I opened up new member introductions with looking for riding companion who is willing to do long rides and I got a lot of less than positive input so I,am not the only guy who does it HURRAY!!!!!

You're not alone Ken. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts