Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say, the level of conversation in this forum is certainly on the low side. I think most of us are also members of versys.co.uk, but a lot of whats discussed over there is only available across the pond!
So for those who live in North America, lets here from all y'all about the exhaust pipes you have, want, NEED.... If you have experience with a Ninja 650 and that bikes exhaust, please talk about it as well cause most manufacturers call the part one and the same as what we would need!!

I will start....

I am looking into exhaust right now. My favorite appearance is split between the Ixil twin pipe and the Laser X-treme twin pipe. However, both of those are pricey. The Ixil is, at best, $499 and the Laser I was able to find for $625 shipped.
Sadly, money is an issue (planning a wedding), so the next choices are either the Jardine GP-1 for $219, the Arrow slip-on, Skorpion Slip On and the Muzzy Slip on for $269, The Leo Vince for $279, or the TBR for $339.

Please let me know what you all think, any videos you have, sound clips, etc!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I vote for the Ixil twin pipe exhaust. Check it out on Youtube under Ixil and Versys. I know it costs more, just save a little longer to get what you want, it'll be worth it. That's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Exhaust

Hello! I just spent about an hour on YouTube.com listening to all of the exhaust systems you named in your thread. I personally like the Scorpion exhaust best followed by the Muzzy exhaust. I didn't look under the Versys though to hear the exhaust. I typed in Kawasaki Ninja 650R and there were quite a few videos. I imagine an exhaust that fits the 650 Ninja would also fit the Versys. I'm thinking about getting one after I get my bike inspected. I'll wait until after that just incase they say it's to loud. Had the Versys on the highway today and opened it up a little. It ran 5,500 rpm's at 80 mph and 6,500 rpm's at 90 mph. The speedometer reads a good 5 mph faster than what you're actually going if not even 10 mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
gonna try something...

a guy i work with is sponsored by FMF.... he gets a 50% discount, so i'm looking to try their motoGP style exhaust (which looks badass) It's made
for the Ninja, so i'm going to look at what it'll take to make it fit- it might just bolt up, but i called them and they didn't know. they did, however, tell me
to just send it back if it doesn't fit (just don't run the bike with it on and they would take it back!)

while i can't offer you guys the 50% off deal, i can pass on some pics and knowledge! stay posted.

kyle

·
Registered
63 Posts
Greetings,

I’m new to this forum and I don’t even own a Versys yet; but I will sometime in the fall of 08 or early 09 when the prices are way down, or so I’m hoping. I’ve been reading some of the posts about changing exhaust systems for your Versys but this would apply to any model of motorcycle and that is, you run the risk of VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY if your modifications cause damage to any other part of the motorcycle ie engine, wiring etc. So be aware of those implications before buying an expensive exhaust system.

Even if you buy your exhaust system from a dealer (they’re in business to make money so they have no obligation to TELL OR REMIND you that you may be voiding your warranty) so take some advice from an old geezer and don’t do it unless/until your warranty has terminated. ;)

I like the sound of a good pipe myself but not at the expense of voiding my warranty---I can wait a year! :)

On the same note, once I get my Versys I will change the exhaust a bit; I personally want to use my bike truly as a dual purpose machine so I want the exhaust on the side and a bit higher in case I go through a stream boon dogging it.

Regards,
David :cool:

Greeks never wrote obituaries----they only asked one question-----Did this person lived life with Passion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
exhuasting

i went for the micron beta race exhuast claimed as the lighest one on the market. it is uber light and sounds the dogs, looks mint too

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've listened to a bunch of exhausts on youtube, and checked out most of them online for purchase as well. My choice will be the Two Bros system, I think it sounds foo-king sick, is only about $350, and weighs in at only 3.5 lbs, compared to 12.7 lbs stock!!! I think it is one of the better looking pipes as well.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I agree about Leo Vince's high quality for the money. I think you would do well with it, DanPorges. I'd avoid the cheap and loud Jardine... My Muzzy header and slip-on system was only $360 plus shipping. I just had a baffle plate added to make it quieter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The problem with using youtube is that you don't really get a good feel for what it is going to sound like.

I remember when I was young and my dad got a new stereo and I called my friend up and said "listen to this bass, man!"... and held the phone up like an idiot.

The scorpion sounds awesome on youtube but I've heard they make the bike sound like a V8 and are extremely loud in reality.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've personally heard a scorpian pipe on a 650 ninja, man was it loud.... I like the idea of losing some weight and picking up some power, but the noise may become too much....I'm making changes to my V so it will be better on the long trips, so i'm not sure if the noise is in my interests at the moment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just received my Ixil twin can set up. Hope to install it this weekend. Might as well spend your money on doo dads like this, as Wall Street is pissing the rest of it away for us right now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got the Leo Vince stainless evol slip on. I love it, not to loud and has a great sound and I get higher speeds per RPMs. The directions for installation were not so great but it wasn't hard to figure out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the Scorpion but don't think I got the DB killer with it. Bit loud but not too. I wear earplugs all the time so it's just a yammer in the background.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Will have the full arrow sitting in my basement next week. Now... do i put it on for the winter... or wait till spring? :huh:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Arrow full system all the way!!!!

Will have the full arrow sitting in my basement next week. Now... do i put it on for the winter... or wait till spring? :huh:
Get you a$$ busy and install it NOW. :D

I just installed the Arrow header to go along with my previously purchased Arrow slip-on can. All I can say after a quick ride (in the dark, so I was taking it fairly easy) in the neighborhood is HOLY CRAP! This made all the difference in the world. I thought the Arrow can & PCIII made a huge difference. This REALLY brought the beast out. SMOOTH is the key word. Bike now loves to run in the 5k RPM range with NO VIBRATION at all. And this was with a PCIII basemap! :D

I'm going to load a copy of BicycleBob's dyno tuned map in the morning (thanks again Robert!!) This should make even more of a HOLY CRAP difference. For the money, you CAN'T BEAT the complete Arrow system, hands down.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=119656&cat=32001&page=1

More later,
Jim

Edit: BTW, this is all WITH the DB killer in. I like it quiet most, if not all the time. But, for the hooligan moments that we all have, the DB killer is easily removed and this can sounds fabulous!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts