Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently relocated to California in Feb, where lane splitting is legal. I didn't really want to add much to my 2014 Versys 650, as it's primarily a commuter bike, however now I'm thinking about a slip on. I'd like to be noticed, primarily while lane splitting, as drivers out here love to switch lanes without looking. I figure that a loud exhaust may help, as the stock exhaust is much too quiet, though I really do like it this way. Any recommendations on a loud slip on that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Drivers in front of you really can't hear exhaust sounds coming from behind unless it's prohibitively loud. Loud pipes do not save lives, bright colors and situational awareness save lives. Nothing helps if the drivers don't bother to look. Lane splitting is all right just don't do it at any speed faster than you want to crash. Over priced cans will not add any real benefit over stock no matter what the ad copy says. Show me on the dyno at street rpms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drivers in front of you really can't hear exhaust sounds coming from behind unless it's prohibitively loud. Loud pipes do not save lives, bright colors and situational awareness save lives. Nothing helps if the drivers don't bother to look. Lane splitting is all right just don't do it at any speed faster than you want to crash. Over priced cans will not add any real benefit over stock no matter what the ad copy says. Show me on the dyno at street rpms.
Thank you for the reply! When riding, or driving my vehicle, those with louder pipes I generally can hear behind me, especially at lane splitting speeds when traffic is crawling. At highway speeds, I typically do not lane split, and at those speeds I would agree with you to a certain extent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the close calls I've had while splitting, drivers began to merge into the other lane just before I came in view of their window.. I would assume, though I could be wrong, that a loud pipe, with some revving as I pass through the lanes, would provide some sort awareness that I'm there, especially if it's beside or close to the vehicle. But eh, I could be wrong! :)

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Heres the part you need....any motorcycle model that is dated 2013 or later or has an aftermarket exhaust system must have an official noise emission label from the Environmental Protection Agency placed on it before it can be lawfully operated or even parked in the state of California.........Motorcycle Exhaust Modifcations On A California Bike

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
When Im sitting in traffic in my truck, and a bike decides to come up through traffic, I dont hear them till they are even with the truck. To late to make a difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since your bikes a 2014 you can't legally put an aftermarket exhaust on it here in Cali. I lane split everyday get a Stebel Horn or something similar........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLx3CN0hoPo
Since I'm military, by bike is registered and titled through a different state.. Would this make a difference, since I'm technically a resident of Illinois?

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Since I'm military, by bike is registered and titled through a different state.. Would this make a difference, since I'm technically a resident of Illinois?
Then your okay. Some vendors won't ship an exhaust to Cali. If you run up against that just have it shipped to someone you know in a different state and have them ship it to you. :smile2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was actually looking at horns last week, and came across the Denali horns. Will look into this one too, thank you!

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts