Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much different is this thing to the earlier models? Is this a new generation or something?

Full system sounds cooler, so I'd like one of those. I had an EX500 without baffles for the first bike which was really loud and killed my ears. I like the stock sound on the Versys 650, but it is restrained. Not looking for a straight pipe again, I'll save that for my TDI.

I understand that putting a new system on will mess with the tuning, so then I need to buy a tuning box? Or can I find a shop to do that for me at marginal extra cost? I don't mind DIY tuning but I don't know what I'm doing.

Will either of these pop the factory warranty?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've recently ordered an Ixil SX1 full system, they're making it for the new V650 and the price is okay. I'll have to wait at least two, maybe three weeks before I get to try it out.

From what I've heard, the slip-ons for older Vs are not compatible.

I don't know about tuning yet, I've never had a full exhaust swap before. I hope I don't end up having to buy a Power Commander...

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
How much different is this thing to the earlier models? Is this a new generation or something?

Full system sounds cooler, so I'd like one of those. I had an EX500 without baffles for the first bike which was really loud and killed my ears. I like the stock sound on the Versys 650, but it is restrained. Not looking for a straight pipe again, I'll save that for my TDI.

I understand that putting a new system on will mess with the tuning, so then I need to buy a tuning box? Or can I find a shop to do that for me at marginal extra cost? I don't mind DIY tuning but I don't know what I'm doing.

Will either of these pop the factory warranty?
The exhaust on the '15 IS one-piece as several have posted, and in Canada (at least...) has an oxygen sensor, so the bike MIGHT be able to self-adjust, thus NOT needing a 'tuner-box'.

Let "invader" jump in on that!

:goodluck:

I'm pretty sure that a good muffler shop could remove the system, cut the headers off, then add a 'slip-on' as the early bikes have....:goodluck:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can't give much help but the stock exhaust is causing problems with the wildlife. It seems they don't realize I am coming close before they panic and fly/run/hop back across the roadway. Loud pipes save lives as they say. Maybe we should always ride with a Harley?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I hate the look of the ones that stick out to the side. Like "yeah, the bike is designed with an underbelly exhaust but we already produce those long cans, let's find a way to attach them somehow and call it a day". One of the reasons why I got the SX1, it fits neatly where the original was and doesn't mess up the lines of the bike.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I hate the look of the ones that stick out to the side. Like "yeah, the bike is designed with an underbelly exhaust but we already produce those long cans, let's find a way to attach them somehow and call it a day". One of the reasons why I got the SX1, it fits neatly where the original was and doesn't mess up the lines of the bike.
Agreed that's why the LeoVince is the best looking

Until they make one specifically for the 2015 Versys this one for the ER6-n MIGHT fit, maybe

I don't see why it wouldn't but no guarantees

http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-kawasaki/impianto_completo_underbody_omologato_evo_ii_er_6n_i_e_2012/15569

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Splitting lanes in California, I alway wave on Harley's to open a lane for me, instead of honking my horn every few cars for multitaskers doing who knows whatever. Crotch rockets zoom by too, but I don't see many of them more than once: they split lanes up to 50 mph greater than traffic with only Road Runner horns! beep beep

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The MIVV stuff looks hard to find, and the IXIL exhaust looks like it would melt my leg. I really don't want any more third degree exhaust burns.

I guess I'll just wait for the Leo Vance system, I'd rather not carve up the stock pipe.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
IXIL's full system exhaust outlet is well tucked in underneath like the OEM muffler, and won't burn your leg.

The header has interesting curves... It and the muffler are better seen here: http://www.ixilusa.com/ixil-super-xtreme-sx1-full-exhaust-kawasaki-ninja-650-r-2012-2015/#.VcG0nflVgSV

http://www.ixil.com/documents/catalogos/CATALOGO GENERAL IXIL 2015-EXPORT.pdf

This Screaming Demon (Australia) SD-R Black Oval Full System listed for ER-6N/F 2012> is shown here as applicable to 2015 Versys 650:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Versys-650-2015-S-Demon-Full-system-exhaust-Header-Muffler-/151643448198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item234ea76386

http://www.xtremperformance.com/products/sd-r-black-oval-full-system-kawasaki-er-6n-f-2012.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
After a year of living with the Ixil SX-1, and travelling ~20 000 km with it, I have the following remarks:
- It hasn't deteriorated, corroded, broken in any way, the build quality is great. The header pipes have, obviously, discoloured and could use some polishing.
- I ride with the less-muffling db killer installed. The more aggressive db killer makes the bike sound too castrated and quiet, and riding without any db killer is tiring on long stints (and makes me feel like an asshole in the city). It's great that the kit contains two different inserts to choose from.
- Still love the sound and looks.
- Since it has a different shape than the original, you have to be more strict about keeping your chain tension within the limit - if the chain gets too loose, it WILL come in contact with the muffler faster than it would have with the original one.
- There is some slight burbling and popping when you go from no throttle to some throttle while the RPMs are going down. This is not obnoxious and it doesn't happen all the time. You can actually learn to control this effect and avoid it when you don't want it. AFAIK there are no ill effects present on the engine, as maintained by the dealer. I'm mentioning this because on older gen Vs some people would do PAIR valve mods to avoid crackling in aftermarket exhausts - this doesn't apply in my case. Firstly, the popping only occurs in very specific circumstances and secondly, I looked at the airbox when the dealer took the tank off for maintenance and there was nothing that looked like the PAIR valve from the pics of older models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts