1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
107 Posts
You better go back and re-read and get a better understanding of each terms meaning. First thing is to set your preload to get the proper sag/ride height. Then the comp/rebound dampening action. Sound like you have to much sag/low ride height. More preload on the springs will raise ride height and control the dive you're experiencing earlier. Again from there you adjust comp/rebound-how fast or slow the shock/forks compress and rebound. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Try no more than 3 turns out from maximum spring preload (clockwise) on both forks, with about 1/4 turn counterclockwise out from fully closed on rebound damping screw.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody

I will try these tonight and report back

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You appear to be as big as your Versys... Just how much do you weigh, bigaussie? :surprise:
242 lbs naked, so guessing 250 - 260 full ATTGATT - Hence my name of BigAussie (I am an Australian living in Canada)

I will be running full bags and a waterproof bag across the seat all the way from BC to Alaska in 10 days time

·
Registered
213 Posts
Fork Oil: The great neglected fluid

If you have never changed the fork oil on your 2007, and another V feels very different, I strongly suspect this is your problem. You have surely lost some oil over the years, and what is left probably resembles sludge. Too large an air gap will cause front end dive while braking. Change your fork oil to specs, and test. To reduce front end dive more, just add more oil to further reduce the air gap. You could also try a heavier weight oil. If you do not want to remove the forks, it is possible to just open the fork caps, suck out the old oil, and replace with fresh oil. You won't be able to get it as clean, but it should make a huge difference.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Absolutely... I've replaced my fork fluid a few times already... I really like my 50/50 mix of 10W and 15W Maxima Racing fork fluid. You could try straight 15W. You can do both forks with 1 liter.

I took out the springs to clean them and the inner tubes as well... Fork oil level is checked with fork compressed and spring removed. It would still be possible to drain them out after removing forks from bike and just removing fork caps.

Racing Fork Fluid - Maxima Racing Oils

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again.

I have a major service booked for Tuesday and will add it to the list.

:cheers:

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your ideas.

My mechanic took it for a ride and reported I had NO (or minimal) preload.

He had to wrench both legs for ever and then backed them off 1/2 turn. This gave me 38 mm / 25% preload.

Feels much better under braking.

I will test it again fully loaded before I take off.

Cheers

Alan

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
OMG, bigaussie! You've been riding around like that all this time and never thought of adjusting your fork preload? It's so easy with a ratchet.

Change out that fork oil in both legs asap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts