Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lousy morning at work so took a spin at lunch today to clear my head and enjoy the 90 degree heat here in MN. Everything is great, I'm feelin' good, then I get off the bike at my destination...and my trunk is gone. Had one of those stare-at-it in disbelief moments (somehow thinking it will re-appear I guess), then got back on and back-tracked. Now the 90 degree heat not feeling so great, and no luck finding it. Luckily was a $60 JC Whitney special (which may have contributed to why it fell off), and I didn't have much in it (as opposed to last weekend when I would have had all my clothes for the weekend plus a laptop and camera). On the bright side, it's almost Miller time and the pontoon is waiting...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always had the fear of that happening. I carry a backpack/bookbag in mine to and from work with just about everything in it. Cellphone, jumpdrive, money, checkbook etc. I find myself moving around and checking my mirrors every once and a while to see that it's still there. I have a GIVI that locks on pretty good. Has anyone out there had a GIVI topcase fall off?:eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have a tendency to keep an eye on things too but with the narrow mirrors on the V and my (ahem) width I couldn't easily see back there to make sure the box was still on. Hate to blame the box as it could very well have been operator error in not ensuring it was latched properly. btw - it was a JC Whitney box directly mounted (with a little "plastic" surgery) to the Givi monokey rack.

RIP

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What a bummer, good news there was nothing of huge value in it. Surprised you didn't hear it bouncing down the highway or see it in the rear view mirror.

My wallet fell out of my rear jean pocket a couple of years ago, when I was riding the V just north of Scottsdale, had just come off a long stretch of gravel back on black top.

Its a very slim wallet made of spinnaker cloth, luckily I must have subconsciously felt it go. Stopped and traced my steps back about 2 miles just before the gravel road started and found in middle of the road-intact!

I now always keep it in my front jean pocket or zipped in my bike jacket.

Machog

·
Registered
288 Posts
Security cable?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to attach a 'security' cable to the trunks that would catch it if it somehow popped loose. It might then rattle and bounce around, but you'd know about it instantly. It should be pretty easy to rig up something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts